Cotati celebrates its 13th Annual Oktoberfest event

exc-5da66d3a522a1752d1e60d42
exc-5da66d3a522a1752d1e60d42

Cotati celebrated its 13th Annual Oktoberfest this past Saturday, and it was one again an October hit. There were people of all ages out in the Cotati Park Plaza celebrating German Traditions and taking advantage of all the food, drinks and fun. With different activities like the yodeling contest, Weiner dog races, stein holding  and costume contest, the eventful day has something for everyone.

The Chamber of Commerce works diligently to put on this event every year, and with the help of volunteers, they are able to exceed the expectations of all attendees. 

OKTOBERFESTCOTATI.jpg

“This Oktoberfest was the largest one yet, it grows every year,” says Co-Founder of the event, Suzanne Giudice. With a crowd of roughly 2,000 people coming and going, it was undeniable that the Cotati Chamber of Commerce outdid themselves once again.

“Tons of people come out, there are so many diverse groups we see throughout the day.  We see families, teenagers, college students, and grandparents. We have people who are 1 to 100 years old out here,” says Cherie Chipman, a member of the Chamber of Commerce.  By publicizing the event on the radio, posters, and community word of mouth, news of Oktoberfest travels fast and people begin to prepare for weeks to months in advance. 

“People travel from all around the nation to be here, word of Oktoberfest spreads quickly. This is the second year that I’ve made it out to Oktoberfest, you can definitely see the time and dedication put into the event. Plus people are just so happy, there is something for everyone to do,” says attendee Kaitlyn Fitszgerald. 

Cotati’s own music group, the Alpiners USA, performed on the stage throughout the day, bringing crowds of people to dance polka all along the front of the stage.  This group is based in the greater Sonoma County area and their music resembles traditional German music, but adds a new twist to it.

The contests brought life to Oktoberfest, from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. there was always something interesting to see and make you giggle. The Weiner dog races are usually the most popular. 

The German inspired event did not miss a single detail, the Chamber of Commerce even thought of the perfect meal for the event. They catered authentic German plates which consisted of bratwurst, potato salad and sauerkraut; and to pair, Lagunitas Brewing Company was on sight selling their locally crafted brews. 

Aside from all the activities, there were also local vendors on sight who were selling jewelry, clothing, and memorabilia for the Oktoberfest event. Nothing was left out. With the event growing, it can only indicate that there will be surmounting success of future Oktoberfests to come.

Local restaurant and bar owners expect a crowd through these next few weeks, as they are readily prepared for all the people that they will be seeing in the months to come after Oktoberfest because of the crowds, encouraging Sonoma State Students and local community members to join in on all the fun along the way.