Santa Rosa Tex Wasabi’s: student staple closes without notice

exc-5da66dd9d269d15bfc967861
exc-5da66dd9d269d15bfc967861

The once popular Tex Wasabi restaurant, which was owned by locally infamous, nationally renowned Guy Fieri, recently shut down without any notice. This downtown restaurant located in Santa Rosa offered a menu of sushi-barbeque fusion cuisine, making it an instant standout in Sonoma County. However, it was most popularly known for its gigantic “fishbowl” offerings, which consisted of alcoholic beverages of your choosing and were easily shared and enjoyed among Sonoma State students and friends alike.

texwasabifeatured.png

As a result, Tex Wasabi was frequented by many Sonoma State students because of its very affordable “fishbowls.” Students could come here on weekends for a $30 fishbowl or on Wednesdays when fishbowls were 50% off, making a $15 social drinking experience very enticing. The restaurant boasted a medley of flavors to choose from, which ranged from fruit punch, mojito, sour patch kids and many more. 

“I loved the fishbowls! It’s a shame that Sonoma State students can no longer enjoy these delicious drinks from Tex Wasabi,” says Sonoma State senior and early childhood studies major Julianna Dellorusso. 

According to the Press Democrat, a sign at the door read, “after nearly 20 years, we are sorry to announce that Tex Wasabis had closed its doors. Thank you to all for your support and patronage over the years.” This very abrupt closure raised some eyebrows around the community and reporters searched for the reasoning behind such a reality.

It turns out that Fieri co-founded and developed the restaurant with partner Steve Gruber. However, in 2016 Fieri sold his ownership stake in Tex Wasabi along with Johnny Garlic’s restaurant chain, Fieri and Gruber’s first collaboration. The closing of Tex Wasabi marked an end to Fieris and Gruber’s partnership. 

In a recent interview with Martin Espinoza, Press Democrat writer, Gruber shares his personal reasoning behind the abrupt closing. Gruber says, “Closing a restaurant is always a difficult decision, but he was proud to have had so many years in business. We stuck it out as long as we could. We’re grateful for the public’s patronage, an 18-year run is phenomenal in the restaurant business.”

Unfortunately, the closing was forced as a result of what Fieri and Gruber assert to be, “the cost of doing business.” As for the unexpected closure of Tex Wasabi, Gruber says, “The closure without warning is a common practice in the business. A fully staffed restaurant is required for safe operation, which sometimes requires unfortunately short notice.” The business is up for sale nonetheless. 

Sonoma State students can hope for a reopening, but, in the meantime, Tex Wasabi and the memories made will be greatly missed.