New gourmet ice cream, coffee stop has a mission beyond serving tasty treats

exc-5dafaea2738af132be2581b4
exc-5dafaea2738af132be2581b4

Squatch’s Gourmet Ice Cream Sandwiches and Coffee in Rohnert Park recently opened, as the new spot supports the Sozo Student Center and has been since this past July. Squatch’s is located next door to the Sozo Student Center, which is an affiliate of the Sozo Ministry. All of Squatch’s  profits help to keep the doors open to aid high school and college age students: their main focus to help support as well as provide a place for activities and opportunities. 

The Sozo Student Center, which opened its doors in 2019, began as a collaborative idea that was filled with many doubts about whether it would ever come to fruition. On a board labeled, “Our Story” inside of Squatch’s, it says that, “Fortunately for us, there is a stronger force at work. Where our own abilities would have failed us long ago, we have learned to trust the One that gave us that ‘what if’ in the first place.” 

SQUATCH'S.jpg

According to the Sozo Ministry website, it began in Redding, California in 1997 by the Bethel Church, as “a nondenominational charismatic megachurch; the idea was inspired after a healing evangelist, Randy Clark.” Sozo has since spread across the globe into many other countries. The website also states that, “Sozo is a greek word that means to save, deliver, set free, heal, keep safe and make whole, and that is what we believe Jesus can do in your life.” 

Sozo’s tagline is stated on their website: “Relationships, Resources, Recreation.” The Sozo goal is to provide community for and build relationships with students, with Squatch’s as an extension of these beliefs. Community was made clear as an important aspect of the Sozo Student Center as well as the Sozo Ministry as a whole. The Sozo Student Center wants students to feel part of  a community of people who can offer support and guidance. 

The Sozo Ministry has come under scrutiny recenty for supporting the display of anti-abortion billboards that were displayed in Nairobi, Kenya. According to an article posted by Thompson Reuters in April, the billboards and posters had phrases on them which included, “Abortion is murder” and “Shut down abortion clinics.” Evelyne Opondo, Africa Director for the Center for Reproductive Rights, was quoted in the Reuter’s article stating that, “The billboards fuel stigma and misinformation on abortion creating an environment that adversely affects reproductive health providers and women seeking these services.” The billboards have since been removed by Kenyan authorities although a senior pastor at the Sozo Church disagreed with the decision stating that the campaign was to enocurage women to seek adoption instead of having an abortion as well as urge them to seek counseling. Abortion and the division it can cause can be seen throughout communities across the world. 

The Bethel Church has also launched its Changed Ministry for those who, as they put it, have once identified as LGBTQ+.  According to the Changed website, “We Believe: Changed is Possible.” It includes testimonials from people who have been converted from homosexuality. An article posted by The Washington Post states that, although many of these types of organizations have closed their doors, these views still exist in communities across the world today and are, “endangering the lives and well being of a new generation of Christian young people.” On social media they have started the #OnceGay hashtag for supporters of their ministry. The Changed Ministry has held events all over the world as well as in California. Changed held a “Freedom March” in Los Angeles in Nov 2018 spreading the belief that change is possible if you identify in Christ above that of LGBTQ+. 

California is a home for people from all over the world with different beliefs and backgrounds. Respect of those who are different from us is what our communities are built on. A community cannot be inclusive if its focus is on changing its members into someone they are not. Everyone can appreciate a good cup of coffee but when it comes to Squatch’s, stick to your Keurig.