Sun’s out, buns out: Free hot dogs at the Club Fair

exc-6398c7ca74c4173d816ebb94
exc-6398c7ca74c4173d816ebb94

The sun was out and Seawolves were active at the Club Fair and Hotdog Giveaway event, which seemed like a hit. The Seawolf Plaza was packed with students checking out all of the booths and what they had to offer. This event was held on Wednesday, Sep. 7, from 11:30 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.. 

Although a heat wave was in the making, many clubs and Greek organizations came out to spread information about their programs and encourage people to sign up. Clubs such as Women’s Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball Club, and Rugby Team, were present. Greek organizations that participated were Alpha Xi Delta, Gamma Phi Beta, Pi Kappa Phi, and Phi Delta Theta. With recruitment being right around the corner, it is important to bring as much attention as possible to all of Greek life. 

The enthusiasm of this event was apparent, as many of the club coordinators were stoked to share information about their organization. SSU junior and kinesiology major, Mikayla Rudis, said, “In order to join the volleyball club, experience is recommended but not required, although we do have a GPA requirement of 2.5 which is usually attainable for students. If anyone is interested in joining, tryouts are being held on Oct. 4 and 6.” 

This event was not only a great opportunity to meet the club coordinators, but also to meet other students who may end up joining the same club. With the new school year just starting, it can be hard to make friends, events such as this are perfect opportunities to find your lifelong friends through a club or Greek organization. 

Free meals were also being offered to any student who walked through the Seawolf Plaza. Students definitely enjoyed the meals as junior and psychology major, Kaila Vasconez, said, “ I came out to the club fair to support my sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, and get a free meal, which was a hotdog, choice of chips, a cookie, and beverage. They had plenty to go around for the entire duration of the club fair.” Students always appreciate a meal and an opportunity to mingle with their friends on campus.

Many of the clubs featured had few requirements, and were accepting of any student who is interested. Grace Hansen, fifth-year student at SSU, and Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Club coordinator said, “In order to join our club, [there are] no requirements or experience needed. Just show up, and we’ll teach you everything you need to know, we are a very inclusive club.” This is a great way for a student to try out something new that they may not have experienced before, but could end up really connecting with, in a low-stakes environment. 

If you missed the club fair but are still interested in potentially joining a club, be sure to visit involve.sonoma.edu to check out the opportunities that Sonoma State has to offer.

Students enjoy the Club Fair and free hot dogs on Wednesday at Seawolf Plaza.