Why we are Seawolves: Jack London exhibit showcases at the University Library

exc-5e436705907ec801daef84d0
exc-5e436705907ec801daef84d0

While practically all Sonoma State students are well familiar with the Seawolf, of course, the mascot that students of the university are proud to call their own, many may not know the man responsible for its inspiration. The famed Sonoma County author Jack London, who is known for his famous books such as “Call of the Wild,” “White Fang,” and of course “The Seawolf,” is at the forefront of a new university art exhibit on the second floor of the Sonoma State Library; for students, it is certainly a place to explore. 

Zach Pace, a current Art major at Sonoma State was at the Jack London spring Reception and he expressed his fondness for the exhibit, as he said, “I think the exhibit is phenomenal, and I’m happy that Sonoma State did a great job putting together a first-class exhibit showing the life’s work of London. He’s an icon here in Sonoma county and I hope lots of people stop by the exhibit.” 

JACKLONDON1.jpg

The Jack London Art exhibit has been on display here at Sonoma State since Jan. 22 and will remain open for students, staff and the general public until March 20, 2020. The exhibit showcases facts about London that few know about the famed author, including memorabilia and many photographs from both his time in his home here in Sonoma county and his time living and traveling abroad in both Europe and Asia. According to a press release from Sonoma State, along with the extensive works of Jack London, it will also feature information about his wife, as school officials say, “the exhibit will feature a look at Jack London’s wife, Chairman and his sister Eliza Shepard’s role to help keep the writer’s work alive following his untimely death in 1916.” 

The Exhibit highlights the life accomplishments, work, and legacy of Jack London through works of art and other visuals to aid in fully realizing the life of the storied American author. And, all of the art at hand and original/first edition book copies and photographs at the library came into Sonoma State’s possession from a pair of very unique sources. 

A majority of the artwork that is on display was donated to Sonoma State in 2001 by private art collector, Warning Jones. And while Jones loved the collection, he felt its home lied elsewhere than his own. According to an interview with Sonoma State, Jones said he selected Sonoma State because he, “Wanted students to see and experience the power of  London’s life and years of work, first hand.”

While Jones donated the artwork, the first edition book copies were donated by Palmer Andrews, an avid lifetime collector of Jack London’s first edition book copies and memorabilia. According to an interview in January of 2015, Andrews hoped students and viewers of his collection would resonate well, saying, “I hope ( my collection) kindles people’s interest in learning more about Jack London.  I know that you too will discover something new about Jack London, his contemporaries, and his time. Andrews, who donated his collection in 2014,  felt his collections would be suited well in the hands of Sonoma State due to London’s home, Glen Ellen, being so close to the University itself. 

Andrews, like Jones, was precisely right.