And the Academy Award goes to… a recap of the 84th year

exc-547508d6e4b0957eae521c3d
exc-547508d6e4b0957eae521c3d

Last night was shining with stars galore as the 84th annual Academy Awards took place.

The Oscars were hosted by none other than Seth MacFarlane himself and was full of pleasant surprises and special tributes during this one time a year spectacle. 

In MacFarlane’s opening monologue, he talked of a theme for this year’s ceremony, being music in film.

A fun surprise was that of William Shatner being seen on a projected screen in his Star Trek attire as he came “back in time” to stop MacFarlane from destroying the Academy Awards. 

In hopes of not being the worst host in Oscars history, MacFarlane performed several musical numbers until he got it just right, and the future told him that he was simply a mediocre host.

The awards kick started off with a big one, being that of Best Actor in a Supporting Role. 

Of the nominees there was Alan Arkin, Robert De Niro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tommy Lee Jones and the man who took it home, Christoph Waltz, for his performance in “Django Unchained.” 

As a favorite among many it was no surprise that Waltz won and he was genuinely grateful to win the award among so many other amazing actors who were nominated.

Five members of the cast of Marvel’s “The Avengers” came on stage to present the awards for Best Cinematography & Visual Effects. The film, “Life of Pi,” took home the Oscar for both of these categories and during the accepting of the Visual Effects Oscar, one of the speakers was the one and only person of the night to get cut off as the jaws theme played as a sign to wrap things up.

Costume Designer went to Jacqueline Durran for her work on “Anna Karenina,” and Makeup and Hairstyling was awarded to Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell for “Les Miserables.”

A special tribute took place when Halle Berry took the stage and presented “Fifty Years of Bond” for the 50th anniversary of the James Bond films, which afterwards transitioned into Dame Shirley Bassey performing the song “Goldfinger” on stage.

Legendary actor, Christopher Plummer, came up to present the award for Best Actress in a supporting role, which went to the predicted favorite of Anne Hathaway, who won her first Academy Award.

Best Musical Score which went to Mychael Danna for “Life of Pi” and the award for Best Original Song which went to Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth’s song “Skyfall” from the Bond film of the same name.

Charlize Theron and Dustin Hoffman came on to present the awards for Best Writing, being that of Adapted & Original Screenplay. 

The first going to Chris Terrio for “Argo” and the second going to Quentin Tarantino for “Django Unchained.”

Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas presented the award for Best Director, which was won by Ang Lee for his film “Life of Pi.”

The award for Best Actress in a Leading Role was won by Jennifer Lawrence, who was so overwhelmed that she actually stumbled her way up to the stage.

Meryl Streep presented the award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which was won by Daniel Day-Lewis, who had the most natural and admiring speech upon receiving his award, and undoubtedly deserved to win.

Jack Nicholson presented the award for Best Picture but surprised everyone by switching over to the White House where Michelle Obama delivered the final award to “Argo,” which won three Oscars in total.