‘Evil Dead’ is evil and returning

exc-54750a7ae4b05c18cb42d26a
exc-54750a7ae4b05c18cb42d26a

“You are all going to die tonight,” said the character Mia portrayed by actress Jane Levy, in a trailer for the upcoming remake of the 1981 cult classic horror film, “The Evil Dead.”

Unfortunately, this long awaited resurrection won’t be hitting theaters until April 5 and only then will audiences get to witness gruesome death in what is being promoted as, “the most terrifying film you will ever experience.”

Following the storyline of the original, five friends in their twenties take a visit to an empty cabin. 

Soon after they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly awaken dormant demons that are living in the nearby woods, which continue to possess each individual in succession until there is only one left to fight for survival.

Sam Raimi made his directorial debut with the “The Evil Dead,” which turned into a trilogy consisting of, “Evil Dead II” (1987) and “Army of Darkness” (1992), each one produced by Robert Tapert and starring Bruce Campbell as the franchise’s iconic character Ash Williams. 

Raimi, Tapert and Campbell are all on board as producers for the remake, where Raimi has passed the torch this time around having first time director, Fede Alvarez, take the reins of his beloved franchise. 

With a chainsaw attached to replace his right hand and wielding a double barrel shotgun in his left, Ash has become known as one of the most badass movie characters of all time. 

When news was released that the film would center on a female protagonist by the name of Mia, fans weren’t pleased. 

However after some thought about the change, it appears many would agree that Campbell should be the only person to ever play the character of Ash.

A fan of the trilogy might often recall the comedic and over-the-top elements of Campbell’s acting in the sequels, forgetting the first film is seen as a serious, campy horror film. 

When the remake was first reviewed by the MPAA, Alvarez tweeted on Jan. 28 that the film had originally received an NC-17 rating, which resulted in cuts to reach a contractually obligated R. 

Since Raimi’s classic film was also given an NC-17 (X at the time) due to some controversial scenes, Alvarez showed a sense of pride by attempting to do this on purpose to pay respect to the original.

Viewers can also expect some spectacular cinematography, as seen in the originals with Raimi’s shaky cam used to show the point of view of an object or creature known as the ultimate evil that would haunt and chase victims who wandered off in the woods. 

The trailers for the remake have recreated these shots and the visual aspect looks to be taken to the next level, as well as the horrifying sounds of the unseeable force.

Audiences around the world can expect to see a very violent and graphic film that will hopefully set an example for the horror genre and specifically remakes. 

There will be a lot of blood, whether it’s raining on people, splattered on faces or whatever else one can imagine, it just wouldn’t quite be “Evil Dead” without this genuine trademark.