MTV actually celebrates music videos

The oh-so anticipated 2013 Video Music Awards hit stage on Aug. 25, 2013. 

With live performances by Lady Gaga, Robin Thicke, Miley Cyrus, Two Chains, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Macklemore, Drake, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry and of course who could forget Justin Timberlake’s epic performance that took center stage performing all his debut hit songs. 

In addition, if his energy wasn’t enough, he brought back his four member crew boys who sang with him when times were simpler, ‘N Sync.

Starting off the night, things got weird quick as Lady Gaga approached the audience with her eccentric style and eloquent energy, flamboyantly wearing a square head suite with a white dress. 

Ending the show, there was little to be seen of her clothes as she was in a bra and very small panties. Something we all noticed, yet Kevin Hart was the only to comment on her “yams.” 

Changing the topic to a more innocent vibe. Selena Gomez didn’t hesitate her way up to the front stage as she won the award for “Best Pop Video.” 

However, it can’t be said that all young emerging performers in her era are all so innocent. 

Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke’s risqué performance of their summer hit songs, “Blurred Lines” and “We Can’t Stop” had people talking. 

Cyrus’s grown up persona has proved evident on stage. We’re all just wondering what really is Billy Ray Cyrus thinking as he watches his little girl perform such provocative material. But, that’s a question for another day. 

On a more positive note, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis reigned gloriously out of the rookie artist stage as they took home two awards: Best Hip Hop Video with “Can’t Hold Us” and Best Social Message with the video, “Same Love.” 

In addition, his performance of  “Same Love” was an important song in which many felt positively impacted by. 

Moving on to the winner of the award, Best Female Video went to America’s favorite sweetheart, Taylor Swift, with her hit new song, “Trouble.” 

Ironically enough, before she was able to receive her award, hit artist Kanye West performed his new song, “Blood on the Leaves” assumingly still ashamed of his last negative appeal on the VMAs his performance was only a shadow of his reflection, as he probably did not want to show his face. Hope that proves to Taylor Swift his remorse. 

The VMAs most epic performer and flashiest dance moves of the night was Justin Timberlake. He took home the award for  “The Michael Jackson Video Van Guard.” 

He receives the award after his grand appearance entertained every person in the crowd with his hit songs, “Take Back the Night,” “Sexy Back,” “My Love,” “Cry Me a River,” “Rock Your Body,” “Suite and Tie” and “Mirrors.” 

Also, let us not forget Justin’s classic performance featuring his main men on the stage, just like old days, only this time a little wiser. 

‘N Sync performed with him “Gone” and “Bye, Bye, Bye.” The audience right about lost it after the five men crew came back with those same loved songs as before. 

Of course, Justin Timberlake felt humbled by the award and though he said he did not deserve the award, he still took it thanking those who made him so great today. 

In addition, he won the award for Video of the Year with his new song, “Mirrors,” which he said was a tribute to his grandparents.

Classic artists are the best, but the audience sure gave great love to new foreign emerging artists. 

The award of Best Song of the Summer not surprisingly enough went to One Direction’s song, “Best Song Ever.” 

These young charming boys are invading the U.S. from across the globe and are doing a great job in showing they are here to stay. In the same topic, the award for the Artist to Watch went to Austin Mahone, in which he cleverly thanked all his, “Mahonies” for nominating him to which he received such award. 

And who could forget Drake’s unconventional performance of his hot new songs, “Hold On We’re Going Home,” “Started From the Bottom” and “No New Friends.” 

Though his songs were hits, he wasn’t able to win the crowd over as much as Bruno Mars did, as he won the award for Best Male Video. 

Performing his new song “Gorilla,” he sang his heart out to all those ladies who live life in Mars. 

The moment we had all been anticipating finally came at the very end of the night. Katy Perry wearing a ring fighter’s suit sang her new song, “Roar” under the beaming lights of the Brooklyn Bridge, empowering all those who surrounded her.  

The finale was a success with Katy Perry’s inspiring and catchy new song. 

Eccentric and unconventional performances by Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus were balanced out by more soothing sounds that came from Macklemore, and Bruno Mars was able to rock out and give the crowd a thrill while Justin Timberlake had everyone reminiscing fond memories of earlier times. The VMAs 2013 have come to an end; all that is left is the curiosity of what new crazy thing will come next year.