Del Valle to rap at SSU

exc-544040f0e4b06e6dec8d65f4
exc-544040f0e4b06e6dec8d65f4

On Sept. 18, Sonoma State students will have the pleasure and the honor of hosting one of America’s most talented poets Mayda Del Valle. Del Valle has won countless awards and recognitions for her poetry performances and has appeared in magazines and newspapers such as The New York Times.  

She has also appeared in HBO’s “Russell Simmon’s Def Poetry Jam,” which is well known for its hip-hop style poets who seem to almost rap out their poetry. However, Del Valle’s performances are more than just spoken; they are performed with true emotions that are rooted from a place of real-life experience. 

Del Valle’s performances are so intoxicating in the way that she pulls the audience in by using such powerful and emotional words.

Del Valle, being very proud of her heritage as a Latina woman, draws many influences from her culture, her family and from her childhood in Chicago. When Del Valle was invited to perform at The White House in 2009 for President Barack Obama and the First Lady, Del Valle’s spoken poetry was mainly about her grandmother and finding her faith. 

Growing up in such a diverse and urban city, her poetry is appealing to all cultures and genders and really defines what it means to be strong when growing up in such tough situations. 

In Oprah’s magazine Del Valle was even honored as one of top 20 women in the “O Power List.” Not only is she an inspiration to the Latino culture, but she is truly an inspiration to women as well. 

In one of her poetry performances, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” Del Valle talks about finding herself when it comes to relationships and having the courage to know that she deserves the respect of having a true man love her. 

In honor of Hispanic Heritage month, Del Valle will be performing in Ives 101, on Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 7:30 p.m. 

It is extremely lucky that SSU will have such a culturally strong and inspiring woman come to recite poetry on campus. 

Don’t miss what will sure to be an incredible event for all with poet Mayda Del Valle.