Local filmmakers present ‘Trust’ at Sonoma Film Institute

exc-54495564e4b0d7fec27330f1
exc-54495564e4b0d7fec27330f1

Anyone who went to the screening of “Trust: Second Acts in Young Lives,” the documentary film, directed by Nancy Kelly and edited by Kenji Yamamoto, can attest to the fact that the film was truly life changing. It is a must see film for all to experience.

The film takes place at an organization known as Albany Park Theatre Project, in Chicago that was opened by a man named David Feiner and his wife Laura Wiley. 

These two astonishing people had the dream to help those who were troubled find their way back to reality. 

Their goal was to open up a theater where young adults could express “their story,” as well as offer the children an abundance of food and a safe and playful environment where they could meet real friends.

As mentioned briefly before, each young adult had a safe environment to share their life story. 

This documentary is about a young woman named Marlin. Marlin is the age of 18, who has been through something so traumatic that many people, both males and females, go through. In fact, stated in the film, one out of every three woman go through this and one out of every six or seven males go through this. Rape. Or any type of sexual assault. 

Marlin was a victim of rape at the age of 12. In Honduras, Marlin was at church with her grandmother when she had to use the bathroom. 

She asked her grandmother to take her to the bathroom but her grandmother told Marlin not to bother her. 

So, Marlin being so young, went on her own. She was walking to the outdoor bathroom when suddenly she was grabbed from behind by two men. 

She was then left in the bathroom on the floor. After cleaning herself up, she fixed her hair, and walked back into church without telling a soul.

Tears filled the eyes of the audience as everyone listened to the story being told. The story of Marlin continues throughout the documentary as it fades in and out with the theater company. When Marlin isn’t telling her story, the theater company APTP goes over their play of Marlin’s story. The play, so full of heavy emotions, becomes everything for these children. 

Nancy Kelly had the opportunity to fly from California to Chicago many times to film this documentary over the years.

“Every time I walked up those stairs to the theater company, I would be so excited because I loved those kids and as a documentary film maker, you’re not supposed to fall in love with your subjects,” said Kelly. “It gets you into all kinds of trouble. But, I couldn’t help it.”

Marlin shares many other terrifying memories with the audience. One being that Marlin was the victim of sexual assault by her own blood in her later years. 

Her only brother had repeatedly raped her as a teenager when they finally came over to the United States of America.

The crowd became so engaged in the documentary that they were silent. One could literally hear a pin drop. 

There were gasps and awes throughout the movie. It was definitely that type of movie that is very relatable, especially because it is a true story.

At the end of the documentary, the play is finished and everybody is so thrilled to see their ending result. Marlin and the many other young adults were saved by this theater company APTP.

Not only did this theater company help the young adults find their way and feed them, but APTP also assisted the children with college. The children were assisted in filling out their college applications and found their way with a scholarship.

“It’s amazing how many of the kids who were in the theater company when we were filming and when Marlin told her story, are now in college,” said Kelly.

The directors hope that this film makes it to every college and many high schools. It truly shows what happens in the world.

The documentary film, “Trust: Second Acts in Young Lives,” is highly recommended especially if one would like to find out the rest of Marlin’s story.