Student musicians raise eyebrows, charm GMC attendees in Instrumental Repertoire

exc-5e5f0db1ecc23353b72e2d2a
exc-5e5f0db1ecc23353b72e2d2a

Sonoma State University’s Department of Music showed off its up-and-coming instrumentalists at the Instrumental Repertoire Class Concert on Friday, Feb. 28 in Schroeder Hall at the Green Music Center. Beginning at noon, filling the room with the freshness of musical sound, each talented musician took the stage to reveal their impressive skills and artistry as they performed a rotating selection of pieces.

The concert has been curated in a way for music major students to present assigned chamber music that they are currently working on in their instrumental repertoire class, a weekly course that is a requirement of all music majors for each semester in residence. On the course description webpage, the department explains that, “the students are divided into groups which perform in alternating succession throughout the semester,” it continues, “to provide an opportunity for performers to receive constructive criticism and direction from the instructors, as well as masterclasses and performances from visiting artists.”  

Every performer demonstrated musical compositions made up of an array of textures and tempos that further highlighted their proficient abilities on their instruments of choice, consisting of flutes, horns, trombones, a cello, violin, and piano. From solos to ensembles, students covered extraordinary pieces filled with layers of complexity by influential composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Frédéric Chopin, Astor Piazzolla and Joseph Hayden. After attending the concert, it is safe to say that the music students at Sonoma State are dedicated, high achievers of their craft. 

Two of the many talented musicians that took the stage were violinist Jet Glover and pianist Marilyn Thompson. Together, they exceptionally executed sonata in C minor, Op.30, No.3, originally composed by Beethoven. The pair played with phenomenal passion and jaunty confidence as their combination of sound created a dramatic partnership of coherent unity. Glover’s euphonious playing with the accompaniment of Thompson’s explosive dynamic sound made for an impressive performance. Their full-toned and grand-sounding timbre did not go unnoticed either, as the crowd enthusiastically applauded them as they left the stage.  

Other notable performers of the event were flutists Sungdu Bae and Sierra Smith, accompanied by cellist Skyler Chen. Collectively, they performed “London” Trio in c major, Hob. IV: 1, originally composed by Joseph Haydn. Their sound was dulcet and their presentation was elegant as they performed with seemingly effortless consonance and control. 

Nonetheless, every performer that took the stage played a significant role in representing the department of music. As stated on their goals and objectives web page, the department said, “Though Sonoma State University remains technically in that category of institutions offering a Liberal Arts Degree (B.A.) with a Major in Music, we consider ourselves meeting in selected areas (Performance, Jazz Studio and Music Education especially) the standards of programs offering Professional Baccalaureate Degrees in Music and have made the conscious decision to apply those higher professional programs (B.M.) standards to those selected areas in this self-study process.” 

This operational decision in their rigorous core curriculum is paying off, shown through increasing numbers of enrollment in recent years. From 100-125 majors, enrollment has recently increased to nearly 150 majors, as well as 30 music minors and many other students from other disciplines who participate in Performing Ensembles. Although enrollment has bulked up, the Department continues to emphasize and stand by its mission of meeting the needs, aspirations and unique potential of each individual student.