‘Girl Code’ provocative, informative

Decoding the complex mind of a girl is something many have failed to do time and time again. MTV’s “Girl Code” gives its viewers an up close and personal view into the minds of young women that is factual-yet-hilariously entertaining. 

A spin off of “Guy Code,” this TV series shows the viewpoint of women on issues such as sex, drinking, dating and other amusing topics. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, “Girl Code” was made to “provide guidance while also making light of the information.”

The show consists of comedians, musicians, actresses and sometimes a few men who comment on the topic given. One of the most well known talking heads is Vinny Guadagnino from “Jersey Shore.”

Each episode tells the audience beforehand the topics it plans to cover. Foreplay, shopping, feeling unattractive, guy friends, and feeling jealous of a boyfriend’s female friend were all the subjects covered in episodes last season. 

While some might consider this to be risqué, it definitely keeps the audience coming back for more with an average of 1.1 million total viewers per episode in the first season. 

With all the advice that is given to men and women, it’s helpful to have a show that breaks down hard subjects. 

“Girl Code” can have its serious moments as well, such as how to avoid taking a drink from a stranger or why it isn’t smart to engage in a relationship with your co-worker. 

One of the topics even covered eating disorders, something that 20 million women and 10 million men struggle with in the United States.

“The girl in the magazine doesn’t look like the girl in the magazine. Have a sandwich,” said Jessica Peluso. 

Peluso is one of the main cast members on the show and is a well-known comedian in New York City and has appeared on “The Tyra Banks Show.”

People who appear on the show have no problem holding back their opinion or true self. Which is what makes this show so raw. 

The fact that a girl can say the words, “if I don’t like him, I’ll fart him right into the friend zone,” takes guts to say on national television. 

Men who watch this show could be scared off by realizing how unladylike women can truly be at times. 

The show is relatable to both genders and gives its audience a chance to laugh about the serious moments we all face in day-to-day life. 

“Girl Code” is a show recommended for a more adult audience due to the mature topics that are discussed. It definitely is not a show to put on for the whole family to enjoy. 

There are also mini-segments throughout the show entitled, “Is That Weird?” which shows a quick clip where one member of the cast reveals embarrassing truths about themselves. 

“I’ve named all three of my kids and I don’t even have a boyfriend yet. Is that weird?” said comedian Shaylah Evans.  

If a person is at all interested in what women struggle with every day, or just want to relate to normal people going through the same things, the show will definitely give you a few good laughs. 

Whether the topics are a bit too controversial or not, the show has proved engaging enough to pick up a second season that began on Oct. 30.

To watch the first season for free, MTV offers full-length episodes on their website.