Museum closures inspire virtual visits during outbreak

California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the cancellation of public gatherings on March 13, beginning the self-quarantine of millions of citizens statewide. Yet, amidst the global COVID-19 outbreak, museums are among the line of venues that have closed their doors: including theaters, music venues, galleries and other cultural institutions and events. 

The ensuing joint-statement was issued by the four largest museums in San Francisco:  the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Asian Art Museum, and the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, which oversees the de Young and the Legion of Honor. 

“With their united focus on the health and safety of their visitors and staff members, the museums made this decision to align with local and federal guidelines and social distancing recommendations for the containment of the coronavirus.”

Similar to the major Bay Area museums, the Museum of Sonoma County posted an updated statement on March 18, as it said, “The safety and well-being of our visitors is of utmost importance. The Museum of Sonoma County is currently closed to support the local efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19,” it carried forth,  “We will continue to monitor the situation and post updates to our website. For our valued members, we will extend the expiration date of all existing memberships by one month, in appreciation of your loyal support.”

Although many favorite art and cultural institutions are closed, some have joined the Google Arts and Culture project where more than 2,500 spaces around the world offer virtual tours that can be accessed from home. The collection is organized by the name of the institution and map. 

In a virtual visit of the De Young Museum in San Francisco, one will see that Google Maps begins the tour on the second floor. Neoclassical paintings and sculptures from the 1800s can be observed in the tour. The experience allows the viewer to be in-front of the photographed artwork. And for a better view and description of the work, there is a scrolling bar of artworks to choose from. For example, “Sacramento Indian” oil on canvas painting from 1867 can be chosen from the collection of classical artworks. Then with the click of a button, Google transports the viewer to the first floor. 

The first floor showcases oil paintings and sculptures from the 1800s; Many artworks continue with Neoclassicism (1750-1850), a period when there was a focus on idealism. The work depicts historically accurate representations of the time and up to the period of Realism (1848-1900), a movement that began in France. It was inspired in capturing everyday life with detail and life-like rendering. Many of the paintings are paintings of nature, including the beach and mountains. 

The intuitive project allows for an immersive experience for once hopeful attendees and curious citizens alike to appreciate the arts from around the world. 

In the meantime, local museums in Sonoma County joined in the support of containing the spread of COVID-19. The list of museums in Sonoma County with tentative closed dates are as follows: the Museum of Sonoma County, Santa Rosa: closed through at least April 11; Children’s Museum, Santa Rosa: closed through at least March 31; Pacific Coast Air Museum, Santa Rosa: closed through at least April 7; California Indian Museum and Cultural Center, Santa Rosa: closed through at least March 31.

The list also includes the Jesse Peter Multicultural Museum of Santa Rosa (located at Santa Rosa Junior College campus), which is closed through, at least, March 29; Luther Burbank Center for the Arts, Santa Rosa canceled and postponed events through May 15; Charles M. Schulz Museum, Santa Rosa: closed through April 7; Sebastopol Center for the Arts, 282 S. High Street, Sebastopol: closed until further notice. 

Finally, the state’s popular natural art and cultural venues indefinitely closed include: The Broad, downtown L.A.: closed through at least March 31; Getty Museum (Getty Center in Brentwood and Getty Villa in Malibu): closed Saturday, March 14  until further notice; Museum of Contemporary Art (Grand Avenue and Geffen Contemporary), downtown L.A.: closed until further notice; Griffith Observatory, L.A.: closed until further notice; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art: closed until March 28; Asian Art Museum, San Francisco: closed through March 28; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (De Young and Legion of Honor): closed until March 31; Monterey Bay Aquarium: closed through at least March 27.