‘Marshall Mathers LP2’ marks Eminem’s return

exc-5474bf0ee4b0bb4ad143db34
exc-5474bf0ee4b0bb4ad143db34

Guess who’s back, back again. Shady’s back, tell a friend.

Marshall Mathers—known on stage as Eminem or the Real Slim Shady—has done it again: he’s back with another album catching the attention of people all over the world. The critically acclaimed rapper has sold over 90 million albums worldwide and won 13 grammys. Only time will tell how his new album “The Marshall Mathers LP 2” will stand in rank with his other record-breaking albums.  

“The Marshall Mathers LP 2,” which stands for “Long Play,” revisits his previous style of rap with the album “The Marshall Mathers LP,” released in May of 2000.  “The Marshall Mathers LP” was the fastest-selling solo album in U.S. history, selling 1.76 million copies in the first week. Eminem is also revisiting the way he used to rap with pure emotion and passion.

Some may say he “sold out,” changing his rap style throughout his career, but Eminem did the best to tell his story while his life was changing as well. “The Marshall Mathers LP 2” definitely channels the old Eminem with very rock-based beats and fast, hard lyrics that might make you listen to it a couple times to understand.  

Artists featured in the album include rap star Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna, Skylar Grey and Nate Ruess. Longtime friend and business partner Dr. Dre executive produced the album along with Rick Rubin, founder of Def Jam Records and establisher of American Recordings. This album includes some of music’s greats on the tracks and in the studio.  

“Survival” is a song based on survival of the fittest and how he will never be defeated; he mentions life experiences and experiences that he is not proud of, but it is what makes him, Eminem. 

“This is the survival of the fittest / This is do or die / This is winner takes all / So take it all.”

The single “Berzerk” can be compared to the style of the 1980’s Beastie Boys. Co-producer Rick Rubin was debatably the man responsible for the sound and beats of 1980’s hip-hop.  

“We’re gonna rock this house until we knock it down / So turn the volume loud, cause it’s mayhem ‘til the a.m. / So crank the bass up like crazy and let yourself go, let yourself go / I say fuck it before we kick the bucket / Life’s too short to not go for broke / So everybody, everybody (Go berserk) Get your vinyls.”

Eminem is also notoriously known for feuding with other celebrities through his songs. In “Berzerk” he disses celebrity partners in a struggling marriage, Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian; furthermore, mentions the divorce of celebrity Britney Spears and bad boy Kevin Federline.  

Slim Shady is known for dissing on other people, doing drugs or just being that crazy white boy from Detroit. His reputation is unmistakable and widely known throughout music and by celebrity enthusiasts. 

Marshall Mathers is still short of being considered a role model due to his life issues, mainly drug addiction, but he continues to be an inspiration through his artwork and lyrical brilliance.  

He admitted to being addicted to prescription drugs such as Vicodin, Valium and Xanax. During the worst time through his addiction he was taking up to 60 Valium and 30 Vicodin pills a day. He went into detail about his struggle with drugs on his 2010 record “Recovery.”

“My organs were shutting down. My liver, kidneys, everything… They didn’t think I was going to make it,” said Eminem in the documentary “How To Make Money Selling Drugs.” “My bottom was going to be death.”

In 2007, he overdosed on a narcotic pain reliever drug, methadone, in which doctors said he was about two hours away from dying. 

“The Marshall Mathers LP 2” is now available to purchase on iTunes and Amazon.