National parks provide space and serenity during health pandemic

Vacations in today’s world are, for many Americans, entirely multipurpose: not just for fun, but a necessity to our overworked lives. However, with the COVID-19 spreading around the world, where, exactly, is a safe and dependable place to receive some much needed relaxation?

National Parks are a directly accessible option for students alike, especially, during this time. They are all accessible by car, and contact with other people is, largely, inherently limited. In California alone, there are nine national parks to visit, with thousands of acres awaiting exporation. 

National Parks offer a variety of different activities to do while visiting. Hiking is one of the most common activities done by most tourists. Hiking allows each individual to connect to nature personally all while receiving some good exercise. All parks have a range of hikes, from easy hikes for beginners to trails for experts that need special permits to hike.

Hiking has a range of benefits from stress relief to an increase in self confidence. Montemlife.com states that, “Hiking is often very effective for easing anxiety and depression, and it is a treatment option that is accessible to the vast majority of people.” 

Some studies show that hiking can help increase self confidence by letting one complete obstacles as well as the goal at hand.

A piece on the matter, addressed by Roland Bénabou and Jean Tirole, titled “Self-Confidence and Personal Motivation,” says, “A well-documented and puzzling phenomenon is that people sometimes create obstacles to their own performance.” 

Overcoming challenges is more important than ever with the advent of COVID-19. 

For people that do not like outdoor activities, another way to enjoy nature is to just drive around the parks. There are many locations to stop and park to enjoy the view. Driving around on main and side-roads can also allow visitors to obtain a much more in-depth look at the park at large. While hiking only allows visitors to see one part of the park, this can be a good way to stay away from other people during the vacation. With the increase of COVID-19 patients growing in California daily, driving around National Parks could be a great way to stay away from the infected on a vacation. 

Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Park are three amazing parks to check out this spring. A week pass for each park is only 35 dollars. 

Yosemite National Park is a location visited by tourists around the world, and is only four hours away from Sonoma State. Yosemite has 1,169 square miles to check out, and has great service stations around the park for guests to ask questions and learn about the site. Kings Canyon National Park is a bit smaller at 722 square miles, but still has a lot to see. The smallest of the three is Sequoia National Park at 631mi², but with its huge trees, it feels a lot bigger. 

Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park are both about five hours away, but are well worth the drive. As their website explains, “In addition to Kings Canyon National Park’s celebrated sequoias, this glaciated valley also features miles of hiking trails, horseback riding, and camping – a perfect place for outdoor enthusiasts of every age.” 

With COVID-19 in full swing all around the world and flight bans being placed on flights out of the country, stress in every community is very high. Yet, visiting National Parks in the area is a safe way to relieve the stress of the situation facing students, their families and the world at large.