Comedian Jim Gaffigan, wife Jeannie provide support to frontlined workers via food relief

exc-5e965d0f43590d3802195813
exc-5e965d0f43590d3802195813

Jim Gaffigan, one of America’s most well-known stand-up comedians, has set aside the jokes and newly directed his work toward helping the essential workers on the frontline of COVID-19. The well renowned public figure and his wife, Jeannie Gaffigan, have started a fundraiser in order to feed the men and women who are working day-and-night to save the lives of patients diagnosed with COVID-19.

The Gaffigan’s chose the Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City: the facility where Jeannie Gaffigan was treated and cured for a near-fatal brain tumor, which was removed in 2017. 

In an interview with CNN, Gaffigan said, “We were notified that, 4understandably, the hospital is under a lot of pressure. They are working crazy hours. We can’t provide PPE (protective equipment) but we thought we could send over some burgers.”

Given the immense amount of pressure and brave work the hundreds of  hospital workers are doing, the Gaffigan’s knew this was an opportunity for them to reach out and thank the brave souls for their work by providing them with a delicious meal throughout their long shifts. 

“These medical workers need just a little brightness in their day; anything,” said Jeannie Gaffigan.

The Gaffigan’s reached out to a well known burger chain known as Shake Shack to provide the doctors, nurses and everyone else at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan with an exciting and tasty meal.

The Gaffigan’s have also started their very own fundraiser through their non-profit program, called the “The Image Society,” with the effort to help deliver meals to New York City hospitals throughout the massive city’s five different boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan.

The couple created a hashtag called #foodsforfearless with their campaign, which is  geared toward generating people in the New York City area to donate money to help provide food for healthcare workers at the frontline of the virus. 

“People might not have any money to buy pizza for a group, but they might have a couple bucks to get a cup of coffee. They can just donate two dollars and we can put it toward some treat we are going to be sending to the hospitals,” said Jeannie Gaffigan.

Given the financial turmoil COVID-19 has unleashed upon the entire country, many Americans do not have the extra funds to donate to programs such as #foodforfearless that provide entire meals to help the hospital workers most at risk. Although these people may have some change to spare, with the donations of thousands of people throughout New York City and the entire country, they can help provide for the people who are risking their own lives to keep us safe.

The Gaffigan’s have also been promoting their fundraising efforts by inviting their fans to join them and their five children at dinner (virtually) over their new YouTube series, dubbed, “Dinner with the Gaffigan’s.” 

During their virtual family dinners, Jim and Jeannie interact with their children: an aspect of which Jim said, “(It’s) something to be very grateful for.” 

Given the fact that many essential healthcare workers have to spend numerous hours aways from their families, many live in fear of being a risk to them, as healthcare worker’s jobs have caused them to be in critical medical situations. 

The couple has promoted their hashtag #foodforfearless by influencing their fans to donate money to help provide meals for the healthcare workers in New York City, while also giving them a shout-out for donating money to their cause. 

Throughout the COVID-19 crisis, Jim and Jeannie Gaffigan have served as prime exemplars of prioritizing a way that celebrities can use their fame for the common good. Even by simply creating a fundraiser and a hashtag, enough money can be raised to provide meals for the men and women at the frontlines of our unprecedented pandemic.