COVID-19 and the celebrity spotlight

In the last few weeks, it has served exponentially tough for many Americans to continue their lives as normal as possible. As the death toll rises and fear increases alongside, many feel it is not long until society begins to collapse. However, as Americans struggle to get through the here-and-now, many celebrities around the country have stepped up and have helped strengthen the community’s resolve.

The good deeds range from monetary donations to simply spreading joy to people that need it the most. One of the biggest donations has been from the Bill Gates Foundation, which contributed a donation of 100 million dollars to help combat the virus. 

“The foundation will provide up to $100 million to improve detection, isolation and treatment efforts; protect at-risk populations in Africa and South Asia; and accelerate the development of vaccines, drugs and diagnostics,” says The Gates Foundation web page. 

Gates also stated that his donation would not only help fund the efforts, but would also help research start right-away without having to deal with government protocol. 

The music industry has stepped up its game as well by donating to fans and staff, even prisons alike. The American rapper Belcalis Marlenis Almanzar, usually known as Cardi B, has started donating 1,000 dollars per-hour to fans for those suffering from financial issues. Cardi B will keep donating until she reaches one million dollars donated. By donating to a thousand different individuals, Cardi B is among celebrities making a tangible difference in numerous people’s lives.

Dierks Bently, a country music star, donated to his staff at Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row. He gave 1,000 dollars to all 90 of his employees and tweeted out a message encouraging others to do the same: “I encourage all bar owners on Lower Broadway to take care of bartenders, bar backs, waitresses, security, dishwashers, etc. the best they can. Let’s make sure we help the folks that help make the music happen,” he said.

Music artists Jay-Z and Meek Mill founded a charity organization called Reform Alliance, which has also been donating to the COVID-19 cause. Particularly, Reform Alliance is worried about the close-quarter environments in correctional facilities. It explains that, “COVID-19 spreads most quickly in crowded and closed environments, and our jails and prisons are at high risk for an outbreak.” To help fight the problem, Reform Alliance donated 130,000 surgical masks for staff and inmates in correctional facilities.

John Krasinski took a different approach by fighting the constant string of negative news caused by COVID-19. He decided to combat traditional media, which has only been reporting negative information. Krasinski started his Youtube channel “Some Good News” two weeks ago and has seen tremendous support around the world, gaining over 1 million subscribers in that time; of course, largely to no avail. His videos spotlight outstanding initiatives people and their communities have been doing during the last few quarantined weeks. 

Krasinski also contacted and interacted with different individuals, helping them regain a sense of normalcy. The most impressive part of his content, however, is the extreme measures he undertakes to fix the problems the virus has caused. In his last video, Krasinski explained that a young girl’s trip to see Hamilton was cancelled due to the virus, so he got on a zoom call with her and invited the original cast of Hamilton to come sing for her. 

With an increasing number of public figures and celebrities alike enacting charitable deeds in this time of crisis, communities can come out of this pandemic with lifted spirits and brighter futures ahead.