Everything is awesome in ‘Lego Movie’

exc-54231736e4b09e0ba5b34621
exc-54231736e4b09e0ba5b34621

The small connectable bricks from Denmark that parents love stepping on with their bare feet are now number one at the box office in the aptly named “The Lego Movie.”

Primarily an animated feature, “The Lego Movie” film proved to be a delightful and imaginative adventure film for all ages (much like the bricks themselves). The computer animation was provided by the Australian studio Animal Logic and had a style resembling a more fluid stop-motion feel.

The story revolves around an ordinary Lego construction worked named Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt), who finds himself to be a very sought after person after accidentally falling through a hole at his construction site and being melded with the Piece of Resistance, an object that will one day save the world.

Lord Business (Will Ferrell) wants what Emmet has, for with the Piece of Resistance out of the way he can bring the entire world to a literal standstill with his Kragle weapon (a tube of crazy glue).

While Emmet is extremely clueless and has no idea about the bigger, shady forces at work, a Master Builder—one who can create things using objects around them—by the name of Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks) saves him from the minions of Lord Business and takes Emmet to see the wise wizard Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman) outside the city boundaries.

That’s where the combination of magic and nostalgia really comes into play as Emmet and his friends hop between the different classic Lego worlds of the Wild West, medieval castles and pirate ships. Viewers definitely will feel like they’re a kid again.

With the help of other Master Builders, a plan is formed to bring the fight to Lord Business and his robot skeleton army before the Kragle is brought online.

Imagination runs wild in “The Lego Movie,” as an already fantastical world becomes even more so with the combinations of different Lego creations throughout.

While the vehicles are sometimes created from scratch parts by the Master Builders, they’re also easily destroyed and hilariously erupt in the iconic Lego flames by Lord Business’ armies.

Because Warner Bros. is the film’s distributor, they were able to play in the licensed product sandbox, having Batman (Will Arnett) fight alongside characters like Superman (Channing Tatum), Green Lantern (Jonah Hill), Gandalf and Dumbledore. There’s even a nice cameo by some Legos from a galaxy far, far away.

The Lego toys are the main draw for the multiple generations who grew up playing with the bricks. There’s a special heart-warming moment in the film that every builder can relate to, no matter what age they are.

Originally invented in Denmark by Ole Kirk Christiansen in 1949, Legos have captured the imaginations of both children and adults worldwide. The ability to create something out of nothing and let one’s imagination run wild is such a magical feeling, one that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were able to capture perfectly in the film.

The only negative thing about the movie overall is its running time of 100 minutes, for it could have easily been another 100. With so many worlds introduced, the characters could have spent more time in each.

Of course, if one is inspired to get back in touch with their inner child after seeing the film, Lego toys—including “The Lego Movie” brand Legos—are available at your local toy store for a pretty penny.

Then again, that’s the beauty of Legos: one is able to create a new world flawlessly, for the possibilities are endless no matter how many or what style the colorful bricks are.