Louis C.K. gets bizarre with ‘Tomorrow Night’

exc-542317dce4b04580028bd440
exc-542317dce4b04580028bd440

Dirty photos, sexualized frozen dessert, cross-dressing, death and psychosis are just a few things on the mind of Louis C.K. in his recently released debut film. “Tomorrow Night” is a film that C.K. wrote and directed in 1998 and has been recently released on his website for the standard Louis C.K. price of $5. 

The comedian and filmmaker, best known for his HBO specials and his critically acclaimed and artistically driven show on the FX network, “Louie,” has made a name for himself by releasing his works on his website, cutting out the middle man and avoiding the drama that comes with a more traditional method of release. 

His new film continues this trend, for C.K. wishes this to become the new standard method of release and pleads on his site that nobody pirate or illegally share his work. 

“Tomorrow Night” is almost 25 years old, and while the ideas and the comedy seem as current as anything C.K. could put out today, the directorial style lacks a certain adoration for craft which C.K. has come to develop to perfection in his more recent works. 

The film is shot on 16mm black and white film and is coupled with the steady camera and single angled shots with overlaid sound add to the student film feel of the picture. While he succeeds in telling the story and creating the characters he wanted, the ending as well as the overall style are reminders of how inexperienced C.K. was when he took on this venture. 

The film chronicles the journey of an introverted, sheepish looking man named Charles (Chuck Sklar), who owns and operates a film store and releases his frustrations with the world by cleaning his store obsessively and sitting on bowls of ice cream for sexual pleasure.

Characters such as Mel the mailman (JB Smoove), as well as a very friendly woman named Lola Vagina populate Charles’ life. Charles must return all of the leftover photos he has in his store to appease his obsessive-compulsive disorder and in doing so ends up going to an older woman’s house whose husband is a very mean old man. 

The story of the film is simple, yet rewarding and while it doesn’t make sense at times, especially in the end, the comedic elements pay off throughout to much delight. 

The highlights of the film include a hilarious appearance by Steve Carell on multiple occasions and a certain point when a taping of “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” where C.K. himself was working at the time, is included in the plot. 

The other highlight and perhaps most professional part of the film would have to be the music and score, which adds a great amount of depth to every scene it is utilized including the opening credits. Neal Sugarman, friend of C.K., wrote the music exclusively for the film. 

C.K., of course, is an incredibly talented individual whose views on the world and way of thinking have made him one of the most respected figures in modern comedy. This film gives an insight into the mind of a man who is completely open in his comedy today, that is where C.K.’s true skill lies, in being completely and unsparingly honest and open about who he is. 

The film steps into the mind of C.K. when he was developing, when he was figuring out who he is and perhaps unwittingly revealing much about himself on screen, even though he has no role. The way the characters interact and what is said bluntly and irregardless of emotions or repercussions is a clear reflection of the mind of C.K. himself. 

“Tomorrow Night” would be impossible to air in an actual movie theater and while $5 is steep to some, if you are a true fan of C.K. and his art this is a must watch to gain a better understanding as to who he was and who he still is.

The movie, along with his different standup specials, is available to purchase at http://louisck.net.