Americans can now add ‘essential service’ to lengthy list of WWE descriptors

exc-5e9f95c9a0e3db09923fab8c
exc-5e9f95c9a0e3db09923fab8c

Across the nation, entertainment-sports have been cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic. The 2020 Olympic Games have been postponed until 2021 and all sport games have been paused; this, in order to prevent players and fans from danger in any close contact with anyone who may be infected. However, as only few essential pieces of infrastructure remain open in cities well throughout the country, many cite convenient stores and take-out restaurants as those that immediately come to mind.

Think again. 

While there are places that remain open, as deemed essential, like grocery stores, pharmacies, and restaurants offering take-out orders, Americans can now tack on World Wrestling Entertainment, known as the WWE, to that list.  

On April 3, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) was officially deemed an essential service according to Florida’s Division of Emergency Management. It was added to the list of essential services because its preventative social distancing measures for, “employees in professional sports and media production with a national audience” are not in place if  “the location is closed to the general public,” WWE stated.

As public health officials have emphasized the importance of only conducting gatherings if really necessary, it has shocked many that entertainment pro wrestling receives an exception. 

Although it is closing the arena to the public, WWE’s pro wrestlers now have opportunities to hold matches: even after an employee of WWE tested positive with the virus.

“The news came as the WWE had recently acknowledged that an employee who had tested positive for the virus only heightened the criticism. According to the WWE, the infected employee was not an ‘in-ring performer,’ and had no contact with anyone else from the WWE since being exposed last month to two people working in health care,” said Mihir Zaveri of the New York Times.

All WWE performers and staff are required to participate in medical screenings prior to entering the set. 

Just as all national entertainment-sport games, matches and events alike have been cancelled, it raises questions as to how, exactly, does the WWE receive a rightful exemption? The answer  appears to be rooted in yet another classic instance of, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”

Zaveri stated in an article for the Times, “The move has also raised questions about the political influence of the WWE’s leadership, especially Vince McMahon, the chairman and chief executive of the WWE, and his wife, Linda McMahon, a former head of WWE,” he continued, “The couple has donated millions of dollars to President Trump’s foundation — and Ms. McMahon was appointed by Mr. Trump to lead the Small Business Administration (she resigned from that role in March 2019),” Zaveri said.

The ordeal raises questions surrounding whether President Trump is granting special treatment to his allies. 

Governor Ron DeSantis said that his office was considering adding essential business onto Florida’s list on a case-to-case basis. Gov. DeSantis said, “I think people have been starved for content,” as he continues to encourage support of content of sports and events that do not require crowds in attendance. 

While the spread of Covid-19 was happening in Orange County, WWE taped shows and featured Wrestlemania on its online network before the Orange County Sheriff’s office visited the Performance Center and demanded that they close down. 

In Florida, WWE will continue to film live episodes in its performance center without a live audience as well as a reduced camera crew. It is still uncertain if other sports are to follow.