Nirvana tribute concert raises over $2.7 million in support of COVID-19 relief

exc-5ea8cad09a26751bf39f675c
exc-5ea8cad09a26751bf39f675c

Post Malone took to YouTube Live Saturday, April 24 at 6 p.m. EST. to perform a full Nirvana tribute concert to raise money for the United Nations Foundation’s “COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund” for The World Health Organization (W.H.O.). All efforts deemed successful after donations totaled to more than $2.7 million by the end of the 80-minute long live-stream. 

The multifaceted singer-songwriter did not conquer the quest alone, as he and three other socially distanced bandmates performed in Malone’s Salt Lake City, Utah home. He was joined by drummer Travis Barker of Blink-182, bassist Brian Lee and guitarist Nick Mack. Together they performed a set that included 15 of Nirvana’s original songs. 

Among the tracks: “Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle,” “Drain You,” “Come as You Are,” “Lounge Act,” “School,” “Heart-Shaped Box,” “Something in the Way,” “About a Girl,” “Stay Away,” “Lithium,” “Breed,” “On a Plain,” “Very Ape,” “Territorial Pissings,” and “In Bloom.” 

Malone opened up the concert with a quick thank you to the iconic group’s diseased lead singer, Kurt Cobain, for the songs he released during his short-lived life; followed by the opening song “Frances Farmer Will Never Have Her Revenge on Seattle” from Nirvana’s last studio album, “In Utero.” Standing in front of his home bar, Post (and Lee) wore a flower dress to pay homage to the Nirvana singer who was known for eschewing gender norms when it came to his own onstage fashion. 

In contrast to Malone’s smoother pop and rap tunes, like “Feeling Whitney” and “Congratulations,” the singer showed off the raspier side of his voice in a distinct grudge-like fashion with “no autotune at all,” he sheepishly boasted midway through. The stream was equally raw as Malone admitted to having only two run-throughs before the performance. 

Nearly 200,000 viewers tuned in within five minutes of Malone going live. The live stream even caught the attention and approval of Nirvana bassist, Krist Novoselić. The original member declared, “I don’t think these fellows can play any better. They are on fire!!!!” as he tweeted throughout the concert, adding that he was “holding emotions back the whole show.” 

Courtney Love, the widow of Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain, also congratulated the band for a riveting performance and praised them for raising millions of dollars to help fight the unforsaken virus. She posted on Instagram, “Goosebumps … Go have a margarita Post Malone. Nothing but love from here,” Love said. 

Fans and people alike were able to donate to the UN Foundation in real-time during the live stream event by using a “DONATE” button that was located at the bottom of the screen. Google.org and YouTube will be matching donations at a 2:1 rate, up to $5M to help, “ensure patients get the care they need, frontline workers get essential supplies + info, and accelerate efforts to develop vaccines, tests, & treatments,” Malone said on the Youtube video. 

The window to donate is open until June 30 and can be found on Malone’s YouTube page as well as the United Nations Foundation website at www.unfoundation.org.