Printmaking from San Diego to Seattle

exc-54132babe4b03cdc3a9e8ff2
exc-54132babe4b03cdc3a9e8ff2

The unique diversity produced by artists from San Diego to Seattle entices the audience with the unexpected. 

The University Art Gallery is hosting “West Coast Ink: Printmaking from San Diego to Seattle.” The display consists of contemporary printmaking techniques including etching, lithography, linocut, monotype, silkscreen, woodcut, digital and even one tapestry.

Straying from the typical painting type of art, these artists all show their own exclusive style to give the audience insight into a bit of everything.

Don’t be fooled by the flyers with the tattoo skull with roses, this art exhibition displays printmaking that strays from the tattoo type of art.

On March 13 the University Art Gallery held the opening reception. The collection remains on view through April 13.

“The Way It Is” by Anthony Discenza types in  bold white print with a black background to convey his message. The art playfully but bluntly says, “We really didn’t have a hard time making this decision. Yes, there is someone else. It’s not us, it’s you.”

The artist is talking about getting a job and how people reapply every year, when in reality he does not believe it makes a difference. He conveys the harsh truth of reality.

“Paris Review” by Kim MacConnel from San Diego pops off of the blank white wall with her bright colors and busyness. The artist sticks to his signature style, seen also in “Untitled,” where the figures are jumbled up all over the canvas. The play with color and shape pulls the viewer into the fun chaos.

“West Coast Ink” was organized by Professor of Printmaking Kurt Kemp and Director of the University Art Gallery Michael Schwager.

The exhibition is to be presented with “Bridges,” the annual international conference of the Southern Graphics Council, which is being held in San Francisco this year.

Both artworks by Chris Johanson express a distinct style in “Perceptions  No. 1” and “I Am Glad That I Went to Center.” 

They both present speech bubbles coming from people, but the writing breaks out of them with a style that  takes more concentration to read. 

His style incorporates his perception on the journey of life but his words break outside of the bubble. 

This could be interpreted in different ways, but  it could represent that the content of the words broke the subject’s comfort or cause growth in character.

Unlike the others, the artist Kevin Fletcher from Santa Rosa produces a style of dark chaos, with black and white distinct shading in each of his three pieces presented.  In each one he presents different layout but all with strings crossing everywhere.

Looking closely gives the viewer a hard time attempting to see where they all go, but better when looking at the bigger picture of it all.

Artist Kota Ezawa brings an interesting 3D aspect to his art with etching. “Lyam 3D” was different from typical art, but closely analyzing the work can give a better understanding of how the images appear 3D, when it really is just dealing with color and placement to play tricks on the eyes.

Masami Teraoka is an artist who took the classic geisha but pushed the limits in “AIDS Series/Geisha in Bath.” The geisha is naked in the bath, opening a condom to use art to help awareness of AIDS.

The artist’s knowledge shows insight in a different perspective, when in art people view geishas as elegant and talented, not pulling open a condom with their mouth. 

These women are more prestigious and presenting her in this image is shocking compared to traditional ways. 

With all the variety of style, there are pieces to meet anyone’s interest, while also showing the audience something new.