Seawolves get creative with paint-by-number

exc-6398c88cfe3a0e2f088c451f
exc-6398c88cfe3a0e2f088c451f

With the 2022 semester now in progress, Sonoma State’s Student Involvement department invited Seawolves to participate in one of their weekly do-it-yourself events. Organized by the Peaps, a group of student workers who coordinate the events held on campus, the DIY weekly activities consist of different options from art projects to trivia nights. These events help students relieve stress from the week’s work and provide fun for all. 

This DIY painting event took place on Sept. 3 in the W&B room, where art materials were provided so that students could sit back with a canvas, enjoy the music playing and paint just about anything. There were various painting options from landscapes and animals to famous video game characters like Nintendo’s Mario and Pikachu. 

Ethan Humphreys, a Seawolf with an art degree, said that Paint-By-Numbers was a good relief for the end of a busy week. “It’s nice to see that art is not just being promoted on campus, but bringing people together. Everyone was very kind, I was welcomed with open arms.” Humphreys and other students that attended the event said they plan to go to future DIYs and are looking forward to what is to come throughout the year.

Students did not only participate in painting but also in interacting with one another.  Everyone compared their unique choice of images to paint. This painting session lasted for several hours, some of the images had almost 1000 little spaces to fill. 

One of the Peaps who directed the Paint By Numbers, Libby Sarto, said, “I really like the DIYs every week! I think it’s a great stress relief space and just something fun in general where you can meet new people or go with friends.” Sarto then went on to say, “I think DIY events are something more students should take advantage of. It’s a great way to start becoming more involved on campus which is so important for enjoying your college experience.” 

Now that the Sonoma State campus is an environment that doesn’t require a constant face mask, weekends are turning into social nights. Our Sonoma State Seawolves have begun to rebuild that campus community life that was missed during the pandemic. First year students are particularly benefiting. More on campus events means more opportunities to meet new people and participate in some fun activities. 

If you would like to stay updated on campus events, you can follow Student Involvement on instagram (@ssu.studentinvolvement) 

These DIY events will continue to take place every Saturday in the W&B room where all students are welcome to walk in and take part for free. This upcoming weekend’s activity will consist of students creating their own unique puzzles. 

A group of Seawolves smile for the camera during the DIY event.

Students are focused on their paint-by-number masterpieces at the Sept. 3 DIY event.