Parties and Gatherings Continue amid Coronavirus Pandemic

exc-5f4d62544dd6e865e0014bc7
exc-5f4d62544dd6e865e0014bc7

Despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed the lives of over 180,000 Americans, many popular TikTok and Instagram influencers continue to hold large house parties, inviting over 100 people, without adhering to proper social distancing protocols.

Many of such parties have been held in the Los Angeles area, and the party throwers are facing consequences for their actions. TikTok stars Bryce Hall and Blake Gray are both facing criminal charges for throwing multiple parties with many guests. Both Hall and Gray were charged with causing a public nuisance, as well as violating local emergency orders by Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer. 

morning-brew-RxQ2ylHUz-4-unsplash (2).jpg

“ We allege these hosts have been incredibly irresponsible with a highly infectious disease spreading in parties banned because of it, and we allege they violated the law”, says Feuer. 

These charges could lead the TikTok stars to fines upwards of $2000 and jail time, but sentencing for these misdemeanors has yet to be determined. Feuer also added that the party throwers violated the Safer L.A health order, and the city’s party house ordinance.

Hall and Gray held gatherings on Aug. 8, and Aug. 14. Neighbors reported that over 100 guests attended the parties, and videos showed that attendees were not following any social distancing protocols, nor wearing masks to protect against the diffusion of the coronavirus. Los Angeles Police Department officers were called to the party in order to break it up, marking at least the second time in several days that officers have been forced to visit the home, according to Los Angeles Times article “Party in a pandemic: TikTok star Bryce Hall’s birthday celebration prompts visit by LAPD”. Following action taken by the LAPD to break up the party, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti confirmed that the power to Hall’s and Gray’s shared residence was cut. 

“Despite several warnings, this house has turned into a nightclub in the hills, hosting large gatherings in flagrant violation of our public health orders,” commented Garcetti.

Hall has received much backlash from fans and critics alike, with much of the criticism being centralized on Twitter, including videos of the party. 

“People were very close together, shoulder to shoulder” As Twitter user Def Noodles puts it. 

The tweet includes a video which shows many of the party guests standing right next to one another. No one is wearing a mask. Hall later posted a video to his TikTok page, captioned “c’mon now”, in which he gives the middle finger to the camera. 

Hall and Gray are not the only influencers to be holding parties during the coronavirus pandemic. Controversial YouTuber Jake Paul reportedly threw a large party in Calabasas just last month, receiving much criticism for his unsafe actions. 

In response, Paul commented “No one has answers, our leadership is failing us, and everyone kind of just doesn’t know what to do. But I personally am not the type of person who’s gonna sit around and not live my life.” Similar to the case of Hall’s birthday party, Calabasas Mayor Alicia Weintraub said that the city was considering pursuing legal action against Paul for his actions. 

Although social media influencers have received much criticism for throwing parties during the coronavirus pandemic, it is unlikely that influencers will stop these gatherings.