A night out with ‘Fluffy’

exc-540f2b85e4b08bdd00472998
exc-540f2b85e4b08bdd00472998

Comedy fans left SSU’s Green Music Center in stitches on Friday, and it was all thanks to one “fluffy” comedian. 

Gabriel Iglesias brought a couple friends along to perform at Weill Hall as a part of his “United Through Laughter” tour. Together, Iglesias, Martin Moreno and Alfred Robles put on a show for a packed hall and lawn that covered a range of subjects, from drunken adventures in Singapore to racist gift baskets. 

Since his first stint as a full-time comedian in 1997, Iglesias has performed in all 50 states of the USA and in over 10 different countries around the world. Most know him from his hit Comedy Central specials “Hot and Fluffy (2007),” “I’m Not Fat… I’m Fluffy” (2009) and “Aloha Fluffy” (2013). Now, a much more famous (and 100 pounds lighter) Fluffy has come to show Sonoma County why he is currently America’s number one stand-up comedian.

Moreno, a long-time friend of Iglesias, greeted the crowd and opened the show with a quick act of his own. He commented saying that although parents love to take their kids to Iglesias’ shows, his portion of the show is not so family-friendly. 

“Seriously, if your kids are easily offended, take those f****** outside right now,” said Moreno. 

He was right to warn the families in attendance, for the rest of his jokes all pertained to his excessive marijuana usage and the wild drunken times he’s shared with Iglesias while on tour. 

Next to perform was a comedian who used to be featured on Iglesias’ Comedy Central program, “Gabriel Iglesias Presents: Stand-Up Revolution.” Robles is both an actor and writer whose act was just as raunchy as Moreno’s.

Robles, however, joked much more about his excessive alcohol usage. He claimed he was the “only first grader with a Corona shirt.” 

“Once I got so drunk that I started checking out my sister,” Robles said to a crowd who responded with disapproving gasps. “Then I realized I didn’t have a sister, and that I only live with my mom.”

The opening acts were funny, but less than satisfying, which made the crowd eager to see what Fluffy had to offer himself. 

Before he took the stage, the first two comedians held a 5XL T-shirt giveaway competition. The contest had every audience member who wore a 5XL T-shirt come up to the stage and form a line, shoulder to shoulder. Then the rest of the audience would decide, by way of applause, who deserved the free comedy tour T-shirt. 

The judging was based on both the size and charisma of the contestants. Two winners were chosen in the end, a decision that was followed by a roar of approving applause. 

Iglesias was greeted with a standing ovation when it was finally his time to perform. He introduced himself and then responded to his warm welcome. 

“How’s everyone on the lawn,” asked Iglesias. After a booming response from the packed grass seat he returned, “next time buy your tickets sooner.”

Iglesias’ act was approximately 30 minutes longer than originally intended, which can be attributed to the way he delivers his jokes. Instead of using cliché one-liners in his act, Fluffy tells stories. Iglesias does not write or practice his show off-stage; he just uses what he remembers.

Iglesias shared one story about an old practical joke he played on his fellow comedian and friend, G Reilly. Since Reilly is African American, Iglesias and Moreno thought it would be funny if they prepared a racist gift basket for him. This meant he would include items that related to numerous African American stereotypes. After receiving the basket anonymously, Reilly was in fact thrilled with the gifts he found, until realizing it was all a joke. 

This same story was shared on an old comedy special he had, and ever since then he would receive his own personal Mexican racist gift baskets at his shows from fans. 

While he thought it was funny, this is not the first time his stories have caught up to him. Ever since he mentioned the fact he loved chocolate cake during a special he had years ago, Fluffy started to receive 40-50 chocolate cakes per week from his admirers. However, due to the fact he is diabetic, Iglesias only puts one finger in each cake, at least so he can get a taste. 

Fluffy looked confused at the end of his act, and he admitted he didn’t know how to end his show. That’s when the crowd began shouting suggestions of old jokes of his made famous from previous stand-up specials. As a result, Iglesias recited three of his most famous jokes, with most of the crowd finishing them for him. 

“Who would have thought I would end up in Sonoma County playing comedy karaoke,” said Iglesias.

The comedian was able to demonstrate why he is such a likeable character during his prolongated act. With a mention of an autism-awareness foundations he is beginning and tales of his generous donations he’s made to kids in need, it’s apparent Fluffy is much more than just the large funny-man seen on TV.