High fashion meets live music

exc-54186494e4b0a2d262f92b55
exc-54186494e4b0a2d262f92b55

The relationship between fashion and music is celebrated during New York fashion week during “Fashion Rocks.” This music special featured the world’s top designers presented during live performances by popular musical acts. 

“Fashion Rocks” is an international charity fundraiser event that takes place during New York’s Fashion Week. The event started in 2003 and was held in London. It was then brought to New York the following year due to its success. 

In the following years, several events by Fashion Rocks were held in different countries all celebrating music, fashion and a worthy cause.

Charities supported ranged from the AIDS foundation, Stand Up to Cancer, Hurricane Katrina relief, and more. After the 2009 show in Brazil, “Fashion Rocks” took a hiatus and this year’s show marks its return. 

Ryan Seacrest hosted the show at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. 

He told CBS News   “I think what makes this show so special is that it all unfolds live. You never know what exactly is going to happen — who’s going to do what and who’s going to not do what. And I think that’s the beauty of a show like this.” 

Fashion Rocks gave viewers at home the opportunity to shop online live. Macy’s, the official retail partner of “Fashion Rocks,” showcased their fall 2014 collection, including Seacrest’s new line, and allowed viewers of the show to purchase these items as they were seeing them across the runway. 

Viewers could also go online and buy outfits the performers and presenters were wearing as well. 100 percent of proceeds of tickets purchased through Macy’s were given to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. 

As Seacrest mentioned in the show, “Every form of music has its own style just like fashion,” and each genre represented its style.

Performers included: Jennifer Hudson, Rita Ora, Miranda Lambert, Luke Bryan, The Band Perry, Enrique Iglesias, Duran Duran, Nico & Vinz, Afrojack, MAGIC!, Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez and Nicki Minaj. 

Usher kicked off the show with a performance of his hit “She Came to Give It to You,” a song that fit the occasion. Rita Ora performed a cover of David Bowie’s song “Fashion,” another appropriate choice for the night. Jennifer Hudson paid tribute to disco and 70s inspired fashion with her own dazzling performance.     

The most buzzworthy performance came from Minaj who performed “Anaconda.” Unfortunately the buzz was only due to the filming of the performances rather than the performance itself.

CBS panned the camera through the audience and used zoomed out angles so that the choreography of the routine would not be shown live on television due to its suggestive manner. Lopez also created buzz with her performance of “Booty.”  

There were some notable presenters that included Paris Hilton, Naomi Campbell, Lara Stone. Some presenters were booed upon taking the stage. 

Some of which were Victor Cruz of the New York Giants and Justin Bieber. Bieber responded by stripping down to just his boxers and giving credit to Calvin Klein. 

KISS, who definitely has a fashion style of their own, closed out the two hour extravaganza with a performance of their hit “Rock and Roll All Nite.” 

Seacrest ended the show by alluding to the possibility of next year’s show. Until then “Fashion Rocks’” sister show, “Movies Rock,” is set to air in December.