Cooking classes at The Kitchens

exc-63517aa40e88b536a0fabd55
exc-63517aa40e88b536a0fabd55

Wednesday afternoon seemed like a typical day in The Kitchens, with the Culinary Services seen preparing dinner specials. However, right beside them on the other side of the sneeze guard, 10 students were eagerly observing Executive Chef Don Cortes and his method of cooking a pan pizza. 

On Sept. 14, Culinary Services provided a cooking class to a group of students who signed up through Seawolf Living. Fourth year Executive Chef Don Cortes instructed a class on how to make his favorite personal pan pizza. Cortes’s quick wit, funny demeanor, and culinary knowledge kept Seawolves engaged.

“I don’t want to offend anyone’s Italian Grandmother because this is not an authentic Italian recipe,” Cortes joked. For this pan pizza, Cortes taught the class how to bake the pizza dough on a stove top. The recipe differs from a traditional way of making dough as well as cooking it. He believes the personal pan pizza (on the stove) makes it more flavorful and crispy. Cortes broke down the components of the dough: flour, yeast, water, and oil. The students observed how Chef Don carefully kneaded the dough. After watching the demonstration, the students put their skills to the test. 

Students learned how to create and design the pan pizza to their liking. Organized at the cooking station were toppings such as peppers, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, basil, bacon and even pulled pork. 

The students there had varying cooking experiences. Some of the people in attendance had gone to previous Chef Don cooking classes. Transfer student Jocelyn Vasquez stated that she previously attended a cooking class where they made an Adobo pork belly. When asked about the cooking class, Vasquez said, “This is my second semester as a transfer student, [the events] definitely make my Sonoma State experience better.” 

The pizza class took place on the far end of the cafeteria, at the cooking station that was originally known as, “Passport”. Within The Kitchens, Passport was a station where students were able to try tasty cuisine and recipes that are found all over the world. At the moment, Passport has not been operating. Cortes explains the difference between SSU before the Pandemic versus now at The Kitchens, “We don’t have enough participation… Just like businesses all over the US, I am affected by labor shortages.” 

However, Chef Don and Culinary Service are always aiming to provide cuisine that students want. Aside from the four week menu cycle of food, Cortes is excited for what is to come at the Cafeteria. He explained starting in the end of September, Passport will feature four food trucks that are partnering with SSU until Thanksgiving break. These food trucks will be specialized in Filipino, Latino, Japanese and Jamaican cuisine. The food trucks will be present at The Kitchens from Monday through Thursday every week. 

In order to sign up for events like these, be sure to browse the Sonoma State website for information. Vasquez as well as third year student, Shawnia Ard, both found out about this event through their SSU email. Chef Don plans to have future cooking classes that will be held in the same place with dishes such as chicken enchiladas and Kung Pao chicken. 

Seawolves proudly show off their pan pizza creations during Chef Don’s class on Wed.

Students share a laugh while placing pizza toppings during cooking class in The Kitchens on Sept. 14.

Students cheer after the dough is perfectly flipped on the grill during cooking class in The Kitchens on Sept. 14.

Chef Don demonstrates the proper way to lay the dough in the pan during his cooking class in The Kitchens on Wed.

Ingredients are prepped and ready for students to learn how to create their own pan pizzas in The Kitchens on Sept. 14.

There were plenty of topping options for students during Chef Don’s cooking class in The Kitchens on Wed.