A new ‘Destiny’

With the recent release of both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next-gen game systems, developers are left with the challenge of creating games as equally as innovative. With the next-generation systems’ endless potential, developers will try to take advantage of a more powerful processor, graphics card and stronger CPU. 

The introduction of “Destiny” at last years E3 gaming convention left many people guessing if  it would just be another “Halo” rip off.  

Ironically, “Destiny” is produced by a collaborative effort between Activision and Bungie, the same game studious that brought the gaming community Halo and Call of Duty in the last decade.

Despite the comparisons with previous sci-fi shooters “Destiny” was hailed by game critics with multiple awards at the E3 convention in 2013 and was predicted to be the next big game on the next-gen systems.  

“Destiny” tries to combine both elements of a first-person shooter game and an open-world type Massively multiplayer online role-playing game.  

The game includes the standard single player campaign mode and a multiplayer mode.  Its graphics are definitely top notch, even in last-gen systems, and it obviously shows in next-gen systems with the epic scale design of worlds and maps. 

The landscapes look very “epic,” especially on the next-gen systems where it gives the players even more incentive to explore the various worlds and maps.  

The action doesn’t differ much from other first person shooters such as “Halo” or “Call of Duty.” While trying to differentiate itself from its predecessor shooters, “Destiny’s” combat system is more dynamic and more responsive. 

The game also tries to differentiate from other first person shooters with more character customization options to cater to each player’s individuality. 

The player has the choice of different classes to pick what kind of character they would like to level up throughout the game. The three classes are Hunter, Titan and Warlock.  

It also features a leveling system that’s unique. When the player levels up, they get to upgrade their weapons, armors and other accessories. 

The solo mission campaign will run one to about 12 straight hours of gameplay.  Though it is a solo campaign, one can encounter other players from around the world.  

That’s were the RPG element of the game comes into play as one can interact with other players, as one can go on co-op missions with them.  

But that’s about as it close to how role-playing gets close with “Destiny,” as the game keeps this area of the game to a minimal.

“Destiny” came out on Tuesday. It covered different platforms, supporting both current generation Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and next-gen systems Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well.  With just a few days after its release, “Destiny” has already accumulated $325 million in sales. It is the biggest game launch for the PlayStation 4 system so far this year.

Despite all the hype since it was announced last year, “Destiny” failed to impress top game critics, labeling the game as “rushed” and “mediocre.”   It is the victim of its own hype and epic ambition to beat well renowned game franchises such as “Halo,” “Call of Duty” and “BioShock.” 

The game felt a bit rushed and tried to mimic other first person shooters with a hint of mixing a notion of a role playing game play into it as well. 

The game is very good, solid and has the potential of a sequel but other than that, it is not as nearly epic as it should be, after all the hype and advertisements portraying “Destiny” could be the next “game of the year nominee.”