Ross brings back the 60s

exc-542af2e0e4b0801eab6f29e0
exc-542af2e0e4b0801eab6f29e0

The legendary diva Diana Ross brought Sonoma State University back to the 60s during her recent performance at Weill Hall.  She had three back-up singers: two guys and one girl.  A whole band played behind her including a guitarist, saxophone player, trumpet player, a pianist and a drummer.

Throughout the performance, Ross sang many hits from her days with The Supremes as well as her solo career hits. As she walked out on stage the crowd began to shout for her, and just like that all of Weill Hall was back in the 60s. 

One of the classics that was played was “Stop! In the Name of Love.” A couple of people in the crowd were dancing on the balconies doing many of the same dance moves that The Supremes did over 50 years ago. Audience members were singing along with Ross, “Stop in the name of love, before you break my heart.” 

During this song Ross wore a red, long dress with glittery sequins all over it and her afro was extra frizzed up. She had about five different costume changes throughout the show. Later she came out in a bright green furry coat over another sparkly dress. One of her last outfits was a sleek black sparkly dress. Every outfit was bigger, fluffier and even more sparkly than the previous one.

The crowd raved whenever she came out in a new outfit. At one point almost everyone in the crowd was standing in their seats and dancing to “You Can’t Hurry Love.” With lyrics like, “But mom said you can’t hurry love, no you just have to wait, she said love don’t come easy it’s a game of give and take.” 

Another song that was a hit with the crowd was “Love Child.” 

“Love child, never meant to be, love child, born in poverty,” sang Ross. Another single that was played at the concert was “Upside Down.”  The lyrics of the song were, “Upside down, boy, you turn me inside out and round and round.” 

Classic songs like “I’m Coming Out” and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” were also played. Overall concertgoers seemed to be pleased with her performance.

Ross has won many awards during her career. One of these include the Guinness Book of World Record’s title of “Most Successful Female Vocalist of All Time.” She has also won several other awards such as a Tony, a Golden Globe and plenty of American Music Awards. 

In 1988 she as inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of The Supremes. To this day she continues to win awards and put out new music for her fans.

After the concert, sophomore Wilson Morris commented on Ross’ performance. “Seeing Diana made me feel young again,” said Morris. 

Looks like there’s no mountain high enough to keep Weill Hall concertgoers away from a Diana Ross concert on a Tuesday night.