Seawolf clubs compete to ‘Chalk the Plaza’

exc-6398ca9c9b4858355ad263ff
exc-6398ca9c9b4858355ad263ff

Associated Student Productions hosted “Chalk the Plaza” on Sept. 12 at the Seawolf Plaza, offering SSU clubs the chance to win a donation of two hundred dollars for the best drawing. A dozen clubs competed for the prize; fraternities, sororities, the Anime Club, and many more showed up to participate. Teams were given 2 hours to complete their drawings and after they were done, the judges walked around and voted for the winner. In the end, the Filipino American Association of Sonoma State University won the competition. All the clubs put a lot of time and effort into their drawings, but according to the judges, it was FAASSU that was best. 

Louie Pelaez, Human Development major and senior, is part of the Sonoma Senders Club. The Senders are a rock climbing club that travels all across the bay area to climb. Pelaez mentioned that part of the motivation for coming out to the event was that they wanted to raise funds for the club. They were looking forward to winning the prize in order to pay for gas expenses for their trips. Pelaez also said that they were very proud of the drawing they and their club put together. They also mentioned, “ I think our drawing shows the beauty of nature and being outside. I think its a very good way of connecting with our friends and nature.”

When asked why her club, the Anime Club, decided to participate, fifth year and Liberal Studies major Mackenzie Brumm replied saying, “We wanted to show school spirit. We also thought it would be a fun activity for us to do together. We wanted to give it our best shot and try and win. The two hundred dollar prize would be appreciated as well. We could use that for events in the future that our club wants to hold.” 

The Anime club finished in second place, with what seemed like a well thought out piece of art. Their picture included a mix of school spirit with anime characters. They drew Lobo next to beautiful trees with red leafs and birds atop of the branches. I asked Brumm what the thought process was behind her team’s art that she created and she said, “ We just wanted to incorporate some anime related references with Lobo and mesh the two. So we included some of our favorite characters and different references from each of our own favorite anime pieces.” 

Up next, ASP will be hosting a free “Culture and Conchas” event on Thursday, Sept. 22 from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at the Seawolf Plaza. They’ll be giving out free conchas to those who attend and watch the performance by the Ballet Folklorico Sarita. 

An aeiral shot shows Seawolf Plaza adorned with SSU clubs’ chalk masterpieces.