Disney’s unlikely superhero

exc-5461b98ee4b0cbd962ee6809
exc-5461b98ee4b0cbd962ee6809

A new Disney superhero has hit the big screen. “Big Hero 6” is a light-hearted animated film featuring a young inventor and his robot.

The audience finds themselves in the future, city of San Fransokyo, a twist of San Francisco and Tokyo. 

The introduction shows an underground robot fight featuring main character Hiro Hamada (Ryan Potter), a 14-year-old boy-genius.

Hiro is participating in petty criminal acts of robot fighting, while hustling with his microbot robot.  

He gets caught hustling and just in the nick of time his big brother Tadashi Hamada (Daniel Henney), fellow science genius, saves him in a failed attempt at a rescue that lands them both in jail. Tadashi, concerned with his younger brothers choices since graduating high school a year ago, decides to show Hiro new opportunities.

The lovable Baymax, a robot designed to assist people with their healthcare, is introduced as Tadashi’s current experiment. Baymax (Scott Adsit) resides in a small, red suitcase and is activated when it hears the word “ow,” inflating into a 6-foot white, vinyl balloon man with black eyes and a pudgy shape.

After meeting all of Tadashi’s best friends and fellow students, Hiro finally sees the opportunity at the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, with determination to get admitted. 

Hiro decides to use the same microbot technology from his fighting robot to create a life-changing invention composed of millions of tiny microbots. He is then admitted into the institute.

In a mysterious fire at the institute, Tadashi’s mentor is caught inside. Tadashi rushes into the building in hopes to find his mentor, only to be caught in the explosion. 

Hiro is sent into a severe state of depression until he finds a Kabuki-masked villain has turned his life-saving bots—supposedly destroyed in the explosion—into a lethal weapon.

The mystery fire that caused Hiro’s brother’s death seems less like an accident. Hiro teams with Tadashi’s best friends from school: bubbly Honey Lemon (Genesis Rodriguez), precise Wasabi (Damon Wayans Jr.), cool GoGo (Jamie Chung), skater-dude Fred (T.J. Miller) and the unlikely resourceful Baymax, to form the Big Hero 6 team.

They transform themselves into superheroes using their knowledge and skills of science. Thus equipping themselves with complex science-based weapons to track down and capture the masked villain.

With the recent instantly-loveable classics Disney has produced, including “Tangled” and “Frozen,” this one doesn’t quite measure up. “Big Hero 6” is feel-good, diverse movie great for the whole family, or the older crowd looking for something wholesome.

The main character is caught in a tough spot while trying to make sense of a world he was only just finding his purpose in.