An uplifting pop-punk revival

exc-54c75dc4e4b0f6cdd67ddc57
exc-54c75dc4e4b0f6cdd67ddc57

In 2003, emo-pop fans were introduced to Fall Out Boy with their debut album, “Take This to Your Grave.” 

Over a decade later, the band continues their success with their newest album, “American Beauty/American Psycho.”  

This upbeat pop-punk album is Fall Out Boy’s sixth studio album and with their top hit, “Centuries” landing on No. 12 of the Billboard Hot 100, this is a huge comeback for band. 

Although all six of their albums are so different, they still have Fall Out Boys’ famous sound.

Lead vocalist, Patrick Stump, tears up yet another album with his incredible sound along with guitarists Pete Wentz and Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley. 

The album is made up of 11 inspiring punk songs that relate to those fans that are a little out of the ordinary. 

“American Beauty/American Psycho” gives fans the feeling of understanding and accepting themselves and how everyone has the ability to do great things in their lives.  

The album’s single, “Centuries,” has been given a Grecian warrior theme with its new music video. 

During the video the band plays the roles of Greek warriors who battle in the coliseum with a very large, beastly man. 

In the beginning, it’s pretty clear to the audience they are going to lose the fight. In the end however, they win by using mind over matter and catapulting a rock into the center of his head, cracking his skull.

The meaning of this song and the storyline in the video is no matter how small someone may be or feel, they can always make their story bigger, and make people remember them for centuries. 

It’s an anthem for the underdogs who rise above the rest. “Some legends are told, some turn to dust or to gold.” 

Not everyone’s stories are told, but if they do something incredible enough, they will always be remembered. 

As every great rock or pop album, “American Beauty/American Psycho” does have its share of love songs. 

Their single, “Favorite Record” is about that one love that makes one so crazy, where one can’t even remember how to forget them. 

It’s about the person who never loved another as much as they were loved. 

In the song they sing, “and you can get what you want but it’s never enough.” 

With upbeat songs like “Uma Thurman” and strong musical ballads like “Immortals,” each listener is brought through a musical self-journey throughout the album.  

Written in the song “Novocain” are lyrics: “Take this sideshow and all its freak and turn it into the silver screen dream singing I am your worst, I am your worst nightmare.” 

These words explain that everyone who is different and maybe a little weird ends up doing greater things than those who are replicas of everyone else in society. 

Each song on this album relates to the underdog, and how everyone is capable of being amazing and it’s those who are willing to stand out who end up rising to the top. 

With this album, Fall Out Boy will definitely be remembered for centuries.