Katy Perry’s roaring halftime

exc-54d09850e4b0b745f2d28988
exc-54d09850e4b0b745f2d28988

After a slow first half of Super Bowl XLIX, Katy Perry took the reins (quite literally) to entertain football and pop-music fans alike.

Perry impressed the audience with her eccentric performance, entering the field atop a large metallic tiger while launching herself right into her hit single “Roar.” 

The University of Phoenix stadium shined with bright colors and incredible stage graphics for another round of Pepsi’s Half Time Show. 

Her flaming costume ensemble made its way through the largest halftime stage the NFL has seen before transforming into a 3D chess board for her song, “Dark Horse.”

Guitarist Lenny Kravitz joined Perry on stage for her first debut ever, “I Kissed a Girl,” while ferociously flipping her hair before bouncing on stage alongside lip-syncing palm trees, sharks and beach balls for “Teenage Dream” and “California Gurls” while the entire stage lit up like an island in the middle of the ocean. 

As halftime performances tend to do, another artist joined the stage with Perry: Missy Elliot.

Thrilling the audience with songs “Work It” and “Lose Control,” Perry joined her in an oversized jersey while rocking out to Elliot’s classic hits. 

Signing off her performance atop an oversized shooting star, Perry wowed the audience again with “Firework,” before the game returned with the Patriots later claiming the Super Bowl champions title. 

Although Perry is known for her child-like theatrical performances and quirky costumes, did she really blow away her audience with an ensemble of older hits? 

Perhaps another artist such as Taylor Swift would have been more appropriate with her new hit album “1989” – but unfortunately, Swift is sponsored by Coca-Cola and is rumored to have some sort of rivalry with Perry. 

Perry definitely took the cake for the most enticing part of the Super Bowl (other than Richard Sherman’s crying face and the Patriot’s winning title). 

However, Beyonce’s performance for Super Bowl XLVII had a lot more excitement, especially for the short reunion of Destiny’s Child. 

Even Bruno Mars’ performance was more exciting with his instrumental talent of drumming and his clever footwork alongside the Red Hot Chili Peppers for Super Bowl XLVIII. 

Perhaps Perry should have saved her child-like façade for her concerts on tour and save the tigers and dancing sharks for the circus.