Title Fight is not slowing down

exc-54d098c3e4b036ef1e43e9b8
exc-54d098c3e4b036ef1e43e9b8

Old punk is dead. Classic ballads on black coffee and skateboarding have been left in the 80s. 

Today’s punk has just as much emotion as it did years ago; it’s just a little sadder. 

Pennsylvania band Title Fight is no novice to punk rock. Since 2003 the band has produced three studio albums and countless EPs.  

Debut album “Shed” yielded several songs with rage and vigor lasting from start to finish. The band continued their intensity for albums to come, with their live shows representing the physicality felt in the music. 

In the band’s latest LP, “Hyperview,” they demonstrate their ability to produce passionate music without having to yell on every record. 

With individual tracks ranging anywhere from two minutes to almost five-minutes long (unlike most punk songs), Title Fight has matured from the three-chord status quo of hardcore music into a more intricate sound of their own. 

One of their singles, titled “Chlorine,” attests to the band’s new method of writing noisy music with solemn lyrics. “Silhouette of a violent view. Felt it fade, was it too soon?”

Guitarist/vocalist Jamie Rhoden’s nasally voice aided to the feel of the record when singing his drawn-out syllables. 

Avid listeners may miss the harsh yelling of bassist Ned Russin, who’s singing was essential to the band’s signature sound. 

Russin’s vocals are only featured on one song, titled “Rose of Sharon.” 

All vocals on the LP have been edited and feature plenty of reverb to give the band a shoegaze-esque feel. The guitars and drum track prove to be louder than the vocals themselves that completes a sound that might be compared to My Bloody Valentine. 

“Your Pain is Mine Now” is made up of slow, lazy guitar riffs that feature bits of distortion throughout the song. 

Rhoden’s singing is soft and glum, which continues the overall sound of the LP. While soft, it is important not to confuse lack of drive for a sad attitude.

Title Fight may not be considered the epitome of hardcore punk-rock, they are still able to demonstrate progression, which many bands are lacking. 

While they no longer make listeners want to aggressively demonstrate their internalized anxiety, they are definitely not slowing down.