Coffee and Crochet at the HUB

Friday afternoons with Seawolves are back in action. This was definitely a more quiet event as Friday’s are not the most common day for students to have class/ be on campus.  Another Seawolf Living event was held in The HUB Cultural Center on Friday Sep. 30 from 2:30pm-3:00pm. This event wasn’t like your average bonding event. Instead, it was very much hands-on which seemed to make for a fun and engaging activity for the participating students. With a step-by-step tutorial on how to crochet, for beginners. They also provided coffee, fruit, and snacks for the participants who joined the event.

Although some did come out to attend this event, as it’s the perfect event for a craft lover. Early Childhood Studies major, Ivon Martinez shared her thoughts on why she came out, “When the pandemic happened, I was really into sewing, and because I’m fairly small, it’s hard for me to find clothes in my size, meaning I have to tailor a lot of my purchases. I actually bought myself a sewing machine over the pandemic and I taught myself how to sew by watching YouTube videos, so this crochet event was right up my alley.”Students can always rely on our campus offering so many different activities with a wide variety of selection. 

Maleia Colker, sophomore and psychology major, said, “I heard about Coffee and Crochet on the Seawolf Living Instagram page and decided to come out because I’m new to the area and I wanted to try something new, as well as make new friends and be social. A few weeks ago I also attended a Seawolf Living Event that consisted of creating your own calendar. It was really fun and entertaining, I really enjoy keeping up with their Instagram because there are always new events each week to keep me busy.” 

Being involved with on campus events is the best way to meet new people, because these events are selected based on hobbies and interests. Students choose to go to an event that sparks their interest, which leads to common ground between the students who attend. As well as expanding your overall connections at Sonoma State.

Another student stated her intentions of attending this event and why she enjoyed it, “I decided to come to this event today because as a college student I am quite the coffee addict and I figured it would be fun to come in and drink some coffee and meet some new people as well as learn more about crocheting since I’ve always been interested in it. Sonoma State always knows how to put on a great event,” said Chloe Storrs, BA and Early Childhood Education major.

If this event was something you may have been interested in but missed out on, head to  Seawolf Living for information on all upcoming events. If you’re a coffee lover like Storrs, be sure to head to Sip this Tuesday Oct. 4 from 7:30am-3:00pm on National Cinnamon Roll Day to get a free cinnamon roll with any coffee purchase.