Artistic faculty prove creativity

exc-54e2fcaae4b0f4a6ba3a9b40
exc-54e2fcaae4b0f4a6ba3a9b40

Graphite, stoneware, enamel, inkjet prints, spray paint, archival micro paper, stainless steel and bronze are just some of the many materials used by Sonoma State University art instructors in the Faculty Art Exhibit, up until March 8. 

Nine Sonoma State art instructors are in the current show, including Libby Black, Carlos deVillasante, Nathan Haenlein, Kurt Kemp, Mads Lynnerup, Jann Nunn, Mark Perlman, Gregory Roberts and Allison Watkins.

Jann Nunn, an artist based out of Oakland and faculty member at Sonoma State teaching sculpture displayed one large piece resembling a human spine. 

“Arc of the Atlas,” 2013, standing just under 10 feet tall, the larger than life piece is capped with a bronze cap, which is explained as the first vertebrae. 

“I loved the diversity of the exhibit, how many pieces and mediums there were at the exhibit,” said Annalise Puentes, resident of Santa Rosa and spouse of a Counseling and Psychological Services staff member.

Archival micro print paper stacked and cut to look like a form resembling the spine in the center of the sculpture. The whole piece is balancing on a second bronze sacrum, with a stainless steel base. 

Referring to Nunn’s Arc of the Atlas,  “It’s big, but not overwhelming,” Puentes said. “I had the immediate reaction ‘Oh! that’s a spine.’”