Seawolves SPEAK! Kanye West Controversy

exc-54e2fda8e4b0cb82a5b1decf
exc-54e2fda8e4b0cb82a5b1decf

Kanye West kept himself from speaking out toward Beck for his Best Album win at this year’s Grammy Awards last week, only to tell E! Entertainment that Beck should have given his award to Beyoncé for her self-titled album released in 2013. 

This isn’t the first time he’s done this, the most notorious being his upstaging of Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. 

West has been a strong force in hip-hop since he released “The College Dropout” in 2004. He only continued to rise in popularity, releasing numerous chart-topping records including “Late Registration” (2005) and “Graduation” (2007).

In 2008, West lost his mother to breast cancer and was having problems with his girlfriend at the time, Amber Rose. Both incidents played inspiration for next album “808s & Heartbreak.” This record served as a career turning point for West as his sound turned much more experimental. 

Since then, the hip-hop icon has been a part of countless controversies, including out lashings during interviews and his habit of referring to himself as a “god.” 

So is West an intelligent artist with a strong statement, or has he gone completely off the rails? A few Sonoma State University students gave their opinions.

“I don’t think he’s crazy, I think he does what he wants to do.” 

-Addison Laird

“A little of both; I think he’s a good artist, but I think morally his priorities aren’t right.”

-Samantha Ricker

“I think his second round following his fame is showing a loss of interest.” 

-Estibaliz Romeo

“I think any publicity is good publicity.” 

-Austin Hartford