Collaborative record transcends genres

exc-54ebf83de4b0c9a277f4db46
exc-54ebf83de4b0c9a277f4db46

Hip-hop has received a gift from the world of jazz. 

BadBadNotGood, a young collective of gifted musicians from Canada, have established a name for themselves as producers of creative jazz/hip-hop instrumentals. 

The group first earned their reputation by covering many renowned hip-hop songs by artists and groups such as Gucci Mane and A Tribe Called Quest. 

Their notorious jazz renditions earned the recognition of many current artists, which resulted in collaborations from Odd Future frontman Tyler, The Creator as well as singer Frank Ocean, among others.

The latest artist to collaborate with the group is rapper Ghostface Killah, known for his music with the legendary Wu-Tang Clan. Their collaborative album, “Sour Soul,” consists of 12 tracks that will quench the thirst of hip-hop heads who feel today’s rap is substandard. 

Ghostface Killah verifies his proficiency as an emcee despite his age with intellectual lyrics: “Now its showin’ and provin’/keep the body movin’/exercising the mind is scientifically proven to increase your lifeline, strengthen your heart.”

Drummer Alexander Sowinski’s smooth percussion combined with Chest Hansen’s heavy bass lines and Matthew Tavares’ mellow keys pair very organically with the rapper’s rhythm. 

Most tracks include short interludes from the jazz group to let the songs breathe after the violent lyrics of Tony Starks.

“Sour Soul” bares additional features from artists Danny Brown, Elzhi and DOOM.  

However, the collaboration of the two primary contributors to the album is enough to deliver exceptional, refreshing hip-hop.