‘Marvel’s Daredevil’: A unique hit

exc-552c7565e4b0f4c182b576aa
exc-552c7565e4b0f4c182b576aa

Ever since the release of “Iron Man” in 2008, Marvel has dominated the film industry.  

Not only are the company’s movies financially successful, they’ve managed to construct a multi-film universe satisfying to both comic fans and the average viewer alike.  

The newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the Netflix exclusive 13-episode show, “Marvel’s Daredevil.”  Like most of the entries in their superhero universe, the first episode of “Marvel’s Daredevil,” titled: “Into the Ring,” is exceptional and worth watching.  

The first episode of “Marvel’s Daredevil” is one of the most unique things Marvel Studios has ever attempted; the tone is clearly much darker than anything before it.  

Within the first 10 minutes, the audience is introduced to a far more dire and harsh world than anything we’ve seen in a Marvel film.  

Each scene feels more intense than before and there isn’t the usual positive outlook seen in most superhero films these days.  The world is gritty, similar to that of “The Dark Knight,” but the writers manage to create characters the audience can instantly care about.

One of “Marvel’s Daredevil’s” best aspects is the show’s leading characters.  Actor Charlie Cox stars as Matt Murdock, lawyer by day, Daredevil by night.  He is perfectly cast as he portrays a fully blind man capable of using his other senses to truly see the world.  

The way the producers manage to show his heightened senses is pretty incredible.  Murdock is the type of character that can draw in someone’s sympathy while still being the most respected guy in the room.  

The supporting characters are equally as interesting. Matt’s best friend and partner, Foggy Nelson, acts as the show’s comedic relief.  

Yet he’s a character with just as much depth as Daredevil himself as his moral compass is constantly moving between what’s right and where the money is. The last main character is Karen Paige, a woman who is accused of murder that forms a unique bond with Matt and Foggy.

The show dances between two separate genres, it becomes a superhero action show combined with a lawyer-detective show, similar to CSI.  

Yet it doesn’t play into the troupes left by past genres, but rather tells a very different story.  Since Netflix released all 13 episodes of “Marvel’s Daredevil” at the same time, the power to binge-watch is truly at it’s fullest.  This first episode illustrates the story about a woman convicted of murder, but it’s just the beginning to the “Daredevil” series.

There are plenty of memorable moments during “Into the Ring,” but nothing quite matches the feeling when one first sees Daredevil himself in action.  

The show’s fight sequences are incredible as each blow is even more devastating than the one before it.  

The violence is brutal, but it only helps emphasize how dire the world is.  

The harsh reality of underground crime may be the only thing that could turn someone off from “Marvel’s Daredevil.”

Very rare can the opening episode of show stand alone from its whole season and still be perfect.  “Marvel’s Daredevil’s” “Into the Ring” is near flawless.  

There are compelling characters, a harsh world and brutal action that make it a must watch.  Not only is “Daredevil” an amazing new show, it could be the show of the year.