Magic being made on Zoom through box office tickets

exc-5f90c144f830447677bbefc5
exc-5f90c144f830447677bbefc5

Due to the pandemic, most social places, such as movie and drama theaters, have been closed for the majority of the year, but the Geffen Playhouse is an exception to the rule. On May 7, the Geffen Playhouse hosted an online magic show through Zoom where anyone from anywhere could access it. 

Box Office - needpix.com.jpg

The magic show, called the “The Present,” was hosted by magician Helder Guimarães and was arranged by the Geffen Playhouse along with the help of the new telecommuting tool, Zoom. 

“The Present” had three performances, from May 7- 9, all of which were successful in ticket sales and attendance. 

According to staff writer, Jessica Gelt for the Los Angeles Times “…more than 70 shows have been buyouts, meaning a single group or entity bought all 25 Zoom slots for specific performance.”

Executive Director of Geffen, Gil Cates Jr., reported to Gelt that the Guimaraes performance “…will have grosses [of] more than $700,000.” 

By the last performance, on May 9, the grand finale had 6,000 households signed up which equaled out to $150,000. Tickets that day were $25 with an optional $15 add on which allowed the viewers to receive an interactive package called a mystery envelope, a package that has interactive props for the audience members to follow along with Guimarães.

Gelt reported that audiences from 30 countries were part of the audience, “…including Denmark, Poland, Singapore, and Ukraine.” 

Charles Mcnulty, a Times theater critic, commented on the interactive magic show experience and shared with the Los Angeles Times that the performance was “…the closest approximation I’ve had to being in a theater since the pandemic closed the venues.”  

“It’s also key that at a time of such turmoil, the show is pure escapism. It’s fun. If Zoom screen smiles are any indication, the audience logs out happy,” wrote Gelt. 

Staff Writer for the Press Democrat Kevin Fixler recently published an article on Sept. 4, reporting on the Raven Film Center located in Healdsburg shutting down permanently as a result of the pandemic.  

“The operators of Healdsburg’s Raven Film Center, the city’s only movie theater, have opted to permanently close six months into a pandemic shutdown that has devastated local businesses, including California cinema shutters since March.” wrote Fixler. 

The pandemic has forced businesses to be on pause and has even caused financial concerns for local businesses like the Raven Film Center.

“The pandemic and related recession is forcing many small business owners into wrenching decisions, particularly as emergency federal aid and loans dry up.” wrote Fixler.

It appears that the only hope for some small businesses, such as the Raven Film Center, is audience investment. 

Geffen Playhouse could potentially provide a trend for future theaters to follow and allow more theaters to feel hopeful for their business future. Utilizing Zoom appears to be becoming more beneficial for a wider range of users and is not a tool strictly to be used for academic or business purposes. 

“‘The Present’…somehow manages to erase the social distance that has defined many people’s experience of the world during the pandemic,” reported Gelt.

Perhaps “The Present” can also manage to erase the overwhelming worries of keeping local businesses afloat and inspire others to create and pursue ideas that allow them to continue to fight  through such unprecedented times.