Mumford and Sons: “Wilder Mind”

In 2012, Mumford & Sons released the Grammy award-winning album “Babel.” The band’s unique mix of folk and rock made Mumford & Sons one of the most impressive musical groups in the past few years.  After three years, the band has released their new album, “Wilder Mind,” and to this reviewer’s surprise, it’s not exactly what a Mumford & Sons fan would expect.

A new album can take a band in one of two directions; either it follows what the group has done in the past, or, like The Beatles, they can make their “White Album,” something different from their usual sound.  

Sadly, Mumford & Sons leaves the banjo behind and takes “Wilder Mind” into an unusual direction.  

When The Beatles changed their sound in 1968, it changed the way the world listened to not just The Beatles, but music in general.  Now Mumford & Sons’ new sound surely changes who they are.

The band has switched from an awesome folk/rock band to a depressing alternative music group.  

As a listener goes through the album’s twelve songs, only one or two will be faster than a ballad.  

“The Wolf” will be noticeably different from the rest.  Yet the only reason it seems different is because every other song sounds the same.  

The title song, “Wilder Mind” ,is insanely forgettable as it blends in with the songs that have come before, and the songs that come after.  This is the album’s main problem.

Mumford & Sons’ genre switch is awkward, as one moves through the twelve songs, each melds together and the listener may not even know the song has changed.  Almost every song starts slowly, then the drums kick in followed by the infamous Mumford & Sons shout.

While the album ultimately fails, it still manages to have one or two songs that may be memorable to a diehard Mumford & Sons fan.  

As previously mentioned, “The Wolf” is a soft rock ballad that slowly builds into a triumphant roar.  While the Mumford & Sons sound may be gone, their lyrics still remain thought-provoking and beautiful. 

The song “Believe” truly capitalizes on exquisite lyrics: “I had the strangest feeling/ your world’s not all it seems/ so tired of misconceiving/ what else this could’ve been” is just an example of how Mumford & Sons still has the writing listeners expect.

Their last album, “Babel” ,managed to capture fast and slow songs and still maintained those special lyrics, while this album only has its lyrics going for it.  

There isn’t a song on it that compares to any of the band’s past hits like “The Cave,” “Little Lion Man,” or “I Will Wait.”

Mumford & Sons tries to leave behind what made the band so special previously. 

“Wilder Mind” doesn’t even compare to the band’s first two albums, as they’ve lost their banjo and unique sound. 

If one really wants more Mumford & Sons, this reviewer recommends the band’s first two albums, not “Wilder Mind.”