Seawolves Speak: Free music sharing

From country to rap, music is something that most everyone can relate to no matter the place or time period. When one plugs themselves into a song, one may not dwell upon how that particular song found its way onto their device. Was the music purchased or was it downloaded free of cost? Many argue that downloading music for free is stealing from the artist, and that artists should be supported by music sales. While most artists encourage their fans to buy their albums for this reason, free music downloading is becoming more popular with ease of access and lack of expense. A very prominent group of music consumers is college students, and when Sonoma State students were asked whether free music sharing should be banned, their answers were almost unanimous.

Demarcus luckett

Demarcus luckett

“No, music sharing shouldn’t be banned because it empowers people who may not be able to afford it to listen to an art form which has cultural and historical relevance and value. Although I think the freeloader effect doesn’t allow artist to make as much money as they could.”
– Demarcus Luckett, Senior German and Business

jennifer siswanski

jennifer siswanski

“I’ll admit, I’ve definitely shared music and download from time to time. But I always feel a little guilty when I go on free music downloading sprees because I feel like it’s probably not the best way to show the artist my appreciation for their music. I guess it’s just hard when you’re a struggling student trying to pay rent and you just gotta have your jams.”
– Jennifer Siswanski, Senior Human Development major

angie durkee

angie durkee

“No it shouldn’t be banned because people are going to find access to free music anyways so banning isn’t going to stop people from illegally downloading music. However it makes it more competitive for businesses like iTunes to sell their music and music artists that are trying to make an income.”
– Angie Durkee, Senior Business major

colin chinn

colin chinn

“I believe free music sharing should definitely not be banned because we’re talking about art. With respect to people who make art; making art as an artist, you kind of sign up as that being an open medium. Whether or not some artist believe that it’s all about the money, most artists really just care about what they’re putting out.”
– Colin Chinn, Sophomore Music major