Local artist brings smiles to Sonoma during the pandemic

exc-5f98902f1dd906782bcf462e
exc-5f98902f1dd906782bcf462e

The pandemic has caused numerous changes to our day-to-day lives. Whether one is walking their dog or getting their jog on, the public is finding themselves more outside these days amidst the pandemic. Of course, these individuals who have taken on the new outdoor time probably walk or jog the same routes with no differences to be cited. Unless your exercise takes place in Sonoma near Highway 12.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 2.26.35 PM.png

Artist Kathleen Truax began placing her paintings in front of her house for those who found themselves walking more as a result of the shelter in place order that was enforced on March 19. 

Staff writer Dan Taylor from the Press Democrat was able to interview Truax and receive information about her experience of displaying her art for those who would walk by her house.

“Beginning in early April, Truax put a new painting in front of her house every weekend.” wrote Taylor.

Of course, what inspired Truax was the increased amount of people who she noticed were walking outside. Truax told Taylor she had been painting all her life and decided to make her art a form of entertainment.

“The number of people walking increased, so I thought it might be nice if they had something to look at,” said Truax, who is 76 years old.  

The reactions to Truax’s paintings were extremely positive and had the artist overwhelmed with happiness. 

“It’s been overwhelming. People have thanked me and take photos. I’ve talked to people in my neighborhood I’d never met.” explained Truax.

In a time where a sense of community can potentially feel strained by the pandemic, Truax was able to bring back a form of normalcy and togetherness with her paintings. 

“I expected a possible negative reaction, but people said the work was beautiful,” said Truax.

Truax work consists of landscapes, portraits, and abstract paintings. Taylor reported that Truax’s most recent work was two art pieces that were inspired by the coronavirus. 

“One showed a face full of fear and despair, and the other depicted a man and woman in masks surrounded by giant versions of the virus.” wrote Taylor. 

As time progressed and plans of reopening California began to come into play, Truax had decided to display an art show that would act as a grand finale on May 23. She displayed between 15 to 20 paintings, some of which were inspired by the coronavirus. 

Truax shared with the Press Democrat that if she were to sell her work, she would donate 15% of the earnings to F.I.S.H (Friends In Sonoma Helping), a local resource that provides food, clothing, transportation, and much more to those who are in need in Sonoma Valley. 

Truax did mention to the Press Democrat that it was a possibility to do another art series in the fall if she felt like it was needed. 

“It is possible I will do another in the fall if it seems like we need it” shared Truax. 

Though she has mainly been doing her artwork for her enjoyment, she has also been affecting others’ lives positively by providing small entertainment in a time where the small things matter most.