Which housing do students prefer?

Célia Aline Amaral

When opting to live on campus at SSU, it is clear that some students prefer to live on-site for the duration of their college experience. 

After first enrolling, incoming first-year students are required to live in on-campus housing in designated dorm areas, primarily including Verdot, Cabernet, Zinfandel, and select areas of Sauvignon. However, as Seawolves progress into their second through fourth years, the option to live off-campus becomes available. 

For upperclassmen, villages such as Beaujolais, Tuscany, and additional areas of Sauvignon are available for those looking to extend their housing experience at SSU. These villages feature kitchens and bedrooms designed for 1-2 people, providing students with reliable living spaces. 

While the decision to live on or off campus may present challenges for some, the conveniences of on-campus living are vividly distinctly evident among SSU residents. 

For starters, the inclusive layout of the campus ensures that access to classes, the recreation center, library and other amenities provided by SSU are within a short walking distance from any village on campus. 

Located in the center of Beaujolais and Tuscany, the housing includes a pool and hot tub area with a barbeque setup and lawn chairs to tan in the warmer seasons and relax.  

Furthermore, free laundry facilities, kitchens, and four bathrooms in each house are included with the dorm package. 

“You really get to meet a lot of people. Everyone here is a student, so we all have something in common,” said fourth-year economy major Kyle Willis.

Having the ability to live in a community accompanied by other students is a positive way to meet new people at the disposal of being on campus altogether. 

“I feel like everyone should live on campus,” said graduate student and sociology major David Melin-Rodriguez when asked about the benefits of living in the Seawolf housing, “you’re around all of your friends. If you live off campus you’re away from everything whereas living on campus enables you to be a part of a community and build connections with other students and also be within walking distance of class.” 

Additionally, according to students living on campus includes the beauty of becoming closer to the nature provided throughout the nooks and crannies of the housing structures. Two exorbitant fountain displays bind the green landscape to top everything off. 

Expanding on the experience of living on campus can provide for SSU students, senior business major Edward Rakosky said, “All of the things you immediately need related to school are right next to you, making getting around extremely accessible. You get to experience the beauty of the campus every single day.”

All in all, many students at SSU live on campus throughout their entire time enrolled at SSU.