Sonoma’s must-see summer escapes

Jena Hollister
The Russian River in Spring.

Summer is coming in hot, and I can’t be the only one looking for exciting new places to take advantage of the weather. According to Sonoma State students and faculty, these are some of the best places to hit during the warm seasons. 

Geologists are some of the best people to know when searching for beautiful places since they explore different areas and see stunning landscapes as part of their job. Owen Anfinson, associate Professor of the Department of Geology, weighed in on the best places to go when it’s sunny. 

Mammoth Rock along the Kortum Trail is highly recommended for its ocean views, easy trail, and interesting history. The reason for it being named after a mammoth is that it’s “where the Columbian mammoths used to rub against the rocks. The years and years of rubbing against the blueschist and amphibolite rocks has left them polished as high as 13 ft up” says Anfinson. 

If you’re comfortable with a long drive, Bowling Ball Beach is about two hours away and allows you to see interesting rocks along a breathtaking hike. “This beach hike is best at low tide and makes a great day trip. It can be coupled with a trip to Salt Point State Park, Point Arena, Fort Ross, or Gualala Point Regional Park,” said Anfinson. He continued his recommendations to the south end of Portuguese Beach to see tide pools and said to make sure on the Bodega Bay Tide Charts that it is low tide to experience the most. 

Robert Louis Stevenson State Park, specifically the Table Rock Trail, the Godspeed Trail at Mount Hood State Park and the Vista Trail at Sugarloaf Ridge State Park; are other top recommended spots according to Anfinson. He also says that Landpaths Grove of Old Trees is a great place for a more intimate hiking experience. 

Armstrong Redwoods, near Landpaths Grove, is a serene place that Maya Graham, a fourth-year women and gender studies major, highly recommends. “At least go visit once before you leave the area.” As a tree girl, she loves the comfort and homey feeling the big trees bring. The redwood trees are humongous here and will provide some great shade during the hot, sunny weather. 

Armstrong also recommends the Russian River, a popular place many students know and love. Take in the sun from the side, or float down in your favorite bathing suit and floaties. If you’re feeling risky, there is also an intimidating rock jumping spot. 

For a clear ocean view, Shell Beach, the Pomo Canyon and the Red Hill loop hike are great places to visit. Jenna Matheson, a fourth-year kinesiology major, loves that you have an “unobstructed view of both the Russian River and the ocean” from both these spots. Matheson said, “The trail itself has sections surrounded by wildflowers.” It’s a great hiking spot and the perfect way to get out and in nature. 

There are a plethora of things to do in Sonoma County as winter slowly fades into summer. Going outside has dozens of health benefits for the human body, so make sure you go outside, take in the fresh air and potentially choose one of these places for your first summer adventure.