SSU’s makerspace Inspires students to innovate and create

Courtesy | Jacob Zander Gino

The makerspace is located on the second floor of the SSU library and is a free resource for students to use for creative projects. It opens at 10 a.m. on weekdays and is closed on weekends. In addition to individual student use, clubs and classes can come in at any time to use the space without needing to make a reservation. 

The SSU Makerspace opened in 2017 and was funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation to purchase equipment. There is a wide variety of equipment available for student use, including 3D printers, cut and carving devices, a workbench, a VR headset and more. There is a separate space known as the textile room used for sewing and has different sewing machines and fabrics. Student workers are there to assist and answer questions and calming music is played in the makerspace to help inspire student creativity. 

Jacob Zander Gino, a third-year communication and media studies major and makerspace student assistant, enjoys using the makerspace to work on various art projects. One of his creations, an alien UFO cup and ball toy, was stolen. Although he was sad that his toy was stolen, as a toymaker he felt honored that someone considered his creation worthy of stealing. “I believe that the makerspace is important because we need a place that permits creative freedom in all respects,” Gino said, “I am a firm believer that creativity is for everyone.”

various creations made at the Makerspace (Bella Gorton)

I think that the makerspace contributes a lot to fostering creativity on campus because it’s open to all students

— Bjorn Lavik

.” 

Eddy Camacho, a third-year computer science major student assistant at the makerspace said students typically come to the makerspace after class to work on a project that their professor assigned them or in between classes to get a project or side hobby done. “Students usually have an idea of what they want to work on or build but they don’t have the right tools to do it which is what we are here for.” Camacho said when prospective students come in for tours of the school they are excited that they can use the makerspace to bring their creative ideas to life. 

Bjorn Lavik, a third-year electrical engineering major and makerspace student assistant believes that the makerspace is a great way for students to express themselves creatively.