Seawolves even through last 10 games

Sonoma State baseball had a two-game home series on Tuesday March 19 against Menlo College. The first game started at 11a.m. and the Seawolves lost 10-5. The Seawolves bounced back in the second game and secured the victory 10-2. 

Menlo College came out strong in the first game scoring five runs in the top of the second inning. Second-year infielder Garret Barto started off the bottom of the second with a leadoff single which was followed up by two walks. They were able to match Menlo and tied the game up 5-5. The inning capped off when third year outfielder Aryonis Harrison bunted a single bringing second year third-baseman Cooper Callison home

The Seawolves weren’t able to score for the rest of the game while Menlo College scored three runs in the fourth, one in the fifth, and one in the seventh to make the final score 10-5. 

Third-year pitcher Colt Wuelfing said the intensity was the difference between the first and second game. “In the second game we had a different intensity on both sides of the ball. We came out and got a big zero in the first inning which got us in a rhythm,” said Wuelfing. 

Menlo was able to score one run in the top of the second inning before the Seawolves caught fire in the bottom of the second. Bases were loaded when second-year infielder Mark Hernandez hit a double to right field bringing home three players. The Seawolves went up 5-1 by the end of the second inning. 

The Seawolves held Menlo College to only one more score which came in the top of the fourth inning. The Seawolves had another big inning in the sixth scoring five runs. Fourth-year outfielder Kenny Decelle hit his second triple of the season which would bring the Seawolves up to 7-2. The Seawolves scored 3 more runs in the inning to put the icing on the cake. Menlo would go scoreless for the rest of the game. 

Head coach John Goelz said Decelle’s hit was big for the Seawolves. “It was a big hit in a big spot. The thing that was incredible was that he hit it over the shortstops head. Kenny is just a really good player and hard worker. He’s always trying as hard as he can. He’s a big part of the game,” said Goelz. 

Coach Goelz spoke on the biggest differences between the two games. “We scored more runs in the second game. Baseball is about matchups. We pitched better in the second game and we hit better in the second game,” said Goelz. 

The men traveled to San Francisco State, where they took two of their first three games, with the fourth game being suspended due to darkness. They completed their most recent home stand against Stanislaus State this past weekend, splitting the series 2-2. They travel to Cal State San Marcos next weekend for another four-game series.