Cheers to Victory: SSU Cheerleaders Shine at National Competition

COURTESY// Kylee Samaripa

The Sonoma State cheerleading team contributes to the ambiance of events on campus as well as performs in competitions, all while having a positive impact on the local community. At this year’s United States of America national competition, they placed second and achieved the highest score in their program’s history. 

“The Sonoma State Cheer & STUNT programs consists of two teams Comp and Gameday. The comp team is our girls who compete at USA Nationals while the Gameday team cheers at events such as soccer, basketball, and lacrosse.” said Hailee Midgley, a fourth-year Track III Hutchins Program. Alongside their campus events and competitions, the cheer team, being students themselves, manage  a packed schedule. Midgley said, “It is definitely a big time commitment; however, I have found that if you have a passion for something it is important to make the time for it.”

There is more to the team than just the cheerleaders, there are members who work behind the scenes to assist the athletes and manage logistics. “I am the secretary for the SSU Cheer and STUNT program. My role helps my team stay organized and prepared for the weeks ahead by compiling a weekly update to help our athletes stay on track for events and deadlines.” said Krista Keith, a second-year business marketing major. Like most organizations, there are a lot of moving parts that need to come together to create a cohesive and successful team such as the Seawolves.

The Cheer and STUNT team work together to perform their best while also creating relationships that extend beyond the sport. Keith said, “being a part of this program has drastically improved my experience here at Sonoma State. They are truly my best friends and I’m so grateful for the valuable lessons I’ve learned in the two years I’ve been here.” This type of connection shines through in their performances, contributing to their success at this year’s USA Nationals competition.

Despite their busy schedule, the team still finds time to impact the community and inspire younger generations. Kylee Samaripa, a fourth-year liberal studies major and president of the team said, “We performed at the Norcal spirit showcase at San Rafael high school alongside middle and highschool aged kids. They are always amazed at the skills we are able to execute such as a back tuck basket or a three high pyramid, stunts that they aren’t able to do at their age.” This exposure can influence the next wave of Sonoma State Cheer team members. The Sonoma State Cheer and STUNT team will continue to perform throughout the school year with many more events to come.