Trader Joe’s: A popular pick among students

Nicolette Bolich

College students often face budget constraints, leading them to seek cost-effective shopping options. Among the multitude of grocery stores, Trader Joe’s consistently stands out. Founded in Pasadena, California in 1967, with just under 600 stores, this neighborhood grocery chain is, according to Trader Joe’s official website,  “…committed to providing our customers outstanding value in the form of the best quality products at the best everyday prices,”. 

Renowned for their creative branding and affordability, Trader Joe’s offers a wide range of foods and products that attract repeat customers. By prioritizing affordability, students can stretch their budgets without compromising on the quality of their groceries. Cameron Gregory, a senior business marketing major says, “The most appealing part is the price, I always end up with twice as much food for the same price, at the exact same quality compared to other stores.”  

Although the grocery store chain does not participate in traditional advertising campaigns, it remains popular by relying on word-of-mouth. From selling mystery three-packs of reusable shopping bags, to introducing skincare product alternatives and the viral $3 mini-tote bag, Trader Joe’s stays relevant by embracing trends. Crew member and junior psychology major Sierra Weishaar says, “The mini tote bag is by far one of the most asked about products we’ve had in a while. The store I work at expected its popularity and made sure to order as many as we could, but we still ran out within just a few days.” 

With free samples offered in-store almost daily, customers can try something new without having to commit to purchasing the item. “My favorite Trader Joe’s product is the Porcini mushroom and truffle ravioli because it’s yummy, unlike most store bought ravioli I have seen. I like that I can refrigerate it or freeze it for later use,” says Jaylin Brown, a senior liberal studies major. Cooking may seem daunting to a new college student; however, Trader Joe’s innovative meal kits are a good place to start. With endless tasty options to choose from, the shopping experience becomes both practical and enjoyable. By visiting Trader Joe’s website, customers can find recipes using ingredients available only at their store.   

When a brand treats their customers with respect and shows interest in bettering their time in the store, it makes a mundane task like grocery shopping a little more enjoyable. “The best part about working at Trader Joe’s is interacting with customers. It’s always an interesting time sparking up conversations with people you’ve never met before, it always feels good to try and make someone’s day better,” adds Weishaar.