Relieve pressure with local self-care series

exc-5fa337ef455e164910c69d6f
exc-5fa337ef455e164910c69d6f

Now more than ever, self- care has been a highly discussed topic while living during a pandemic. During stressful situations, it’s easy for some to be consumed by their stress and disregard their own needs and care. Fortunately, there are resources available to help remind those that it’s for the best to focus on ourselves before our stressors. 

Self-care - Pxfuel .jpg

On Nov. 19, The Press Democrat will be hosting their third and final episode of their three-part virtual series Women in Conversation at Home. The previous two episodes that the virtual series made include episode 1: Your Sustainable Self and episode 2: Honoring Space. 

In the third episode, titled Self Care, topics such as self-care and nurturing oneself will be discussed throughout the virtual episode.

The purpose of the virtual series is to provide support through the difficult changes some people have gone through that have been a result of the pandemic. 

“We’re all had to make major adjustments to our daily routines during the pandemic, and through all the change we may have lost focus on ourselves.” wrote the Press Democrat. 

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation “…more than one in three adults in the U.S have reported symptoms of anxiety or depressive disorder during the pandemic” stated Kaiser Family Foundation. 

The pandemic has become a major stressor to some. Groups, such as the Press Democrat, are recognizing that increase of stress in adults and have decided to want to give something proactive to their readers. 

“Self-care is a broad topic, but the key is to practice, paying attention to your body and what it needs. It is about finding nurturing experiences that leave you replenished and rejuvenated, refueling yourself so that you’re not running on empty.” explained the Press Democrat. 

Hosting the self-care episode will be an Emmy-winning reporter and producer Amy Gutierrez, founder of BiteClub Heather Irwin, and Executive Director of Farm to Pantry Dustie Estes. 

Seawolves may know Gutierrez as Amy G, and as a staff member and Communications lecturer at Sonoma State University.

The STAR reached out to Gutierrez about her involvement with the virtual series. 

The Press Democrat approached Gutierrez over the summer, believing that her lifelong Sonoma County residence and large following from covering the San Francisco Giants for 13 years made her a good fit to host this series. 

Gutierrez believes that this series is important because it is a form of empowerment for women and can unify women. She shared with the STAR that, to her, the pandemic has caused starvation for positive, uplifting conversation and action. 

“The women represented in this series will advise on how to take care of yourself during this stressful time, but will also share their inspiring stories of finding passion and doing the things they love to do,” said Gutierrez. 

In the final episode of the virtual series, ‘Self Care’ will discuss four topics with their viewers. These topics will include ritually drinking tea, drinking gin, breast cancer prevention, and natural beauty routines. 

Those who are interested in participating and or viewing the last episode of Women in Conversation at Home can find a link to register on the Press Democrat Website. In addition, previous episodes can also be found on pressdemocrat.com.